Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car hasn't slept in 9 days. Draining 15-20 miles per day. 12V going bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen this happen before. No software updates were done, and I even tried changing my tesla.com password to make sure all loggers were gone. Rebooted everything, even tried using poweroff for a while. According to TM-spy it appears to be floating the 12V system at ~14.6V and 5A, at all hours of the day. Of course previously it would go to sleep once the 12V was done charging, you could clearly observe the DC-DC converter turning off before sleep.

The 12V battery is on it's 3rd year, and by most accounts it only lasts about a year. Perhaps it's not taking charge?

Anything else I can check?

> I have almost 4 years on my original 12V. [patrick40363]

Unless Service replaced it at some point in time and forgot to list it in the work order, you got a very good battery! These batteries receive continuous abuse thus normally are shot after a couple years and replacing them is really beyond DIY skill set. Consider retiring it to less mission-critical duty.
--

I've never seen this happen before. No software updates were done, and I even tried changing my tesla.com password to make sure all loggers were gone. Rebooted everything, even tried using poweroff for a while. According to TM-spy it appears to be floating the 12V system at ~14.6V and 5A, at all hours of the day. Of course previously it would go to sleep once the 12V was done charging, you could clearly observe the DC-DC converter turning off before sleep.

The 12V battery is on it's 3rd year, and by most accounts it only lasts about a year. Perhaps it's not taking charge?

Anything else I can check?

Do you have Energy Saving on and Always connected off? Setting those options this way may help the car go to sleep, also significantly reducing the daily mileage drain. If that doesn't help, you can now schedule service appointments for many Tesla locations using your Tesla.com login.

Do you have Energy Saving on and Always connected off? Setting those options this way may help the car go to sleep, also significantly reducing the daily mileage drain.
Of course. Nothing in the car changed. Just one day, it stopped sleeping. It's been 15 days since it slept. I got a nice popup driving down the highway the other day at around 80% SoC, something like "car may not restart, charge immediately", which disappeared so quickly I barely had time to read it. Great.

If that doesn't help, you can now schedule service appointments for many Tesla locations using your Tesla.com login.

I'll ask them for help when I don't think I'm going to get the runaround.