Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car heating up when parked upwards of 90 degrees farenheit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 LR AWD. The car appears to heat up on some days when parked at work. When I say, heating up, it is sometimes as high as 103F when ambient temperature is sub-freezing. The service center found nothing wrong (but did confirm that the temperature was high). Tesla claims the Tesla app is triggering heat (yet if you open the app it doesn't show HVAC is on and obv my set point is not anywhere near that warm).

Today, for example, ambient temperature was in the low 50s. I have location services only on if the Tesla app is open. App was never opened until in got ready to go home around 4:30pm. At that point, the temperature in the car was reading over 90F. AT this juncture Tesla doesn't seem overly interested in finding a solution.

Has anyone else experienced this? Solutions?

thanks!

I have a Model 3 LR AWD. The car appears to heat up on some days when parked at work. When I say, heating up, it is sometimes as high as 103F when ambient temperature is sub-freezing. The service center found nothing wrong (but did confirm that the temperature was high). Tesla claims the Tesla app is triggering heat (yet if you open the app it doesn't show HVAC is on and obv my set point is not anywhere near that warm).

Today, for example, ambient temperature was in the low 50s. I have location services only on if the Tesla app is open. App was never opened until in got ready to go home around 4:30pm. At that point, the temperature in the car was reading over 90F. AT this juncture Tesla doesn't seem overly interested in finding a solution.

Has anyone else experienced this? Solutions?

thanks!
If the source is the heater and not the sun, if you set climate to ambient temperature does this short circuit the issue? Sorry to hear this.

I had the SAME thing happen today. Car was sitting in 7-10 degrees outside parking lot for 8hrs. Temp on my phone said 36 degrees Celsius ?? (I’m Ontario Canada).

My set point in app and car is always 21 - 21.5 degrees C. Never any higher than that.

Unfortunatley my wife was using the car today- and don’t know 100% first hand if car was actually 36 degrees when she got in.....

Attachments

• 09BE3E3A-0D17-4AED-BEF5-78361E3DC560.png
    09BE3E3A-0D17-4AED-BEF5-78361E3DC560.png
    1 MB · Views: 216
If the source is the heater and not the sun, if you set climate to ambient temperature does this short circuit the issue? Sorry to hear this.
Tesla claims that heat is turned on by the app (yet the app shows climate control is off....). The car will be in the garage at work, in the parking lot with limited sun... The set point is in the mid 60s when it is on. It only seems to happen at work, however. but doesn't happen every day. because the seats feel warm I suspect it's not actually the HVAC that goes on, but the heated seats (they don't show as on, but I suspect they are warming up). Before the firmware update from a couple of weeks ago it would turn the AC on when I hit start climate control and also turn on the seats (to the one flame setting). Which seems completely bonkers.

I had the SAME thing happen today. Car was sitting in 7-10 degrees outside parking lot for 8hrs. Temp on my phone said 36 degrees Celsius ?? (I’m Ontario Canada).

My set point in app and car is always 21 - 21.5 degrees C. Never any higher than that.

Unfortunatley my wife was using the car today- and don’t know 100% first hand if car was actually 36 degrees when she got in.....

two examples here for me...
IMG_4158.PNG
IMG_4158.PNG
IMG_4164.PNG

Nope, not unless you’ve disabled climate protection. It kicks on at 105 to protect tablet. I’ve tinted my windows and here in South Texas did not experience above 105-ish.
Yes I always have it disabled. Tesla claims the feature is to protect children. I don't want to run my battery down all day. If the electronics can't handle it then that is a design issue and warranty repair.

Black interior plus sun equals hot. In the summer can get over 140F.

Yep, during the last summer I saw reported interior temps as high as 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Even during the winter on sub freezing days my car could easily reach interior temps in the 50s if left in the direct sun. You don’t realize how hot the inside of a car can get just from being in the sun until you’ve got a way to get a temperature reading.

One other interesting thing I've noticed is that the car heats up a small amount every 2 hours (this is with sentry mode on):

upload_2019-4-1_9-17-35.png

I don't know if it always did that or not, since I just got this API scraper up and running on the most recent firmware, but that could be part of what you're seeing as well. Not sure what the car is doing to heat itself up in that time.

Yep, during the last summer I saw reported interior temps as high as 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Even during the winter on sub freezing days my car could easily reach interior temps in the 50s if left in the direct sun. You don’t realize how hot the inside of a car can get just from being in the sun until you’ve got a way to get a temperature reading.

Cold winter days I wouldn’t think 50s abnormal either in the direct sun. The fact that mine reaches 100+ in not direct sun I’m freezing weather on the other hand. Tesla claims that my app is triggering the heat to come on (even though app shows Hvac as off). This clearly is a flaw in the software for some of us.

One other interesting thing I've noticed is that the car heats up a small amount every 2 hours (this is with sentry mode on):

View attachment 392432

I don't know if it always did that or not, since I just got this API scraper up and running on the most recent firmware, but that could be part of what you're seeing as well. Not sure what the car is doing to heat itself up in that time.
What app is this? Thanks!