Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car heating up when parked upwards of 90 degrees farenheit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having same issue periodically..same 89 degree reading on inside. Only seems to happen when parked outside.

Frustrating as I live in Michigan and it has been in the 20-30’s and when i got to warm up the cabin it turns the air on.

I do have stats app. Not sure if that is an issue. Going to reach out to app developer.

I am having same issue periodically..same 89 degree reading on inside. Only seems to happen when parked outside.

Frustrating as I live in Michigan and it has been in the 20-30’s and when i got to warm up the cabin it turns the air on.

I do have stats app. Not sure if that is an issue. Going to reach out to app developer.
Did you confirm the temperature in the car. Is it an error or is the car actually that temp from the sun?

I left my car in 20 degree weather and when I got in it was toasty warm from being in the sun and being all glass with black interior. I didn't even need to preheat it.

Are you suggesting your heater is turning on?

I am going to temp test the inside with a thermometer as suggested to see. I guess the thing I am concerned about it on these cold days .. although sunny .. is the battery getting warmed up sufficiently?

Obviously I see a huge drop in mileage as soon as I start driving in the cold .. my assumption was the only way to heat or precondition the battery is to have the heat running .. and if it is 89 on the inside .. the heat won't kick on and the battery won't precondition?

Any thoughts?

Mike

Disabled the app last night. So far today the car doesn’t seem to have heated up. Will check again when I go home. I can verify that the car temperature before has matched on the app to a thermometer within a handful of degrees f (and internal temp was confirmed at the service center when I had it in before).

Disabled the app last night. So far today the car doesn’t seem to have heated up. Will check again when I go home. I can verify that the car temperature before has matched on the app to a thermometer within a handful of degrees f (and internal temp was confirmed at the service center when I had it in before).
Wow, the app doing it?? That is weird. You're using only the official Tesla app, right? What kind of phone (Android, Apple)?

Wow, the app doing it?? That is weird. You're using only the official Tesla app, right? What kind of phone (Android, Apple)?
iPhone. Only thing connected is the official Tesla app. As I mentioned previously in the thread Tesla had confirmed to me that the app was triggering the heat even though I wasn’t turning on The climate control myself from the app...

Is cabin overheat on? If it is try turning it off.

In this experiment, I left cabin overheat protection on, but disabled sentry mode:

upload_2019-4-2_13-37-35.png

You can see my short drive to work ending at ~9:30, and then two hours after I parked (~11:30), I'm seeing that spike again.

Interestingly, two hours after that (at 1:30pm), there's actually an unexpected decrease in temperature. I think that's the first time I've seen a decrease at the two-hour interval.

Last edited:
Another very overcast day here in Ohio. Currently 50f outside, sentry has been enabled since I got to work this morning, cabin temp shows 105f.

I picked up my car last May and was used to seeing these temperatures in the summer months, but it still seems hot given the current conditions outside.

This is concerning as my SiL is purchasing a Black on Black Model 3, and lives in SoCal.

Why are the cars getting so hot, and so randomly?

Hope there's a fix soon....

It's not really that concerning. All cars get super hot inside when it's sunny, plus the AC system kicks on if you have cabin overheat protection on. If the car is not designed to handle 105 temps, then there's something fundamentally wrong with it's design.

My curiosity is more why is the climate system being activated (in @dkde 's case) and is that the same thing I'm seeing with bi-hourly temperature swings.

iPhone. Only thing connected is the official Tesla app. As I mentioned previously in the thread Tesla had confirmed to me that the app was triggering the heat even though I wasn’t turning on The climate control myself from the app...

Crazy idea: Try a 3rd party app and see if the problem replicates. Might help isolate it to the actual app or some bug in the API.

Edit: Are there 3rd party apps for the Model 3?

Crazy idea: Try a 3rd party app and see if the problem replicates. Might help isolate it to the actual app or some bug in the API.

Agreed. @dkde if you can, I would recommend setting up the API polling scraper like I have going, monitor it for a while with your app installed, and then maybe uninstall the app to see if you see any anomalous behavior. Feel free to PM me if you need help setting it up.

In this experiment, I left cabin overheat protection on, but disabled sentry mode:

View attachment 392851

You can see my short drive to work ending at ~9:30, and then two hours after I parked (~11:30), I'm seeing that spike again.

Interestingly, two hours after that (at 1:30pm), there's actually an unexpected decrease in temperature. I think that's the first time I've seen a decrease at the two-hour interval.

if there is some sort of fan (likely a computer cooling fan) coming on every 2 hours it would explain your graphs perfectly. When the inside temperatures are rising from the sun on the car the fan moves warmer air into the area of the temperature sensor. This gives the rapid rise in temp that you see. When the temperature is on the way down and there is warmer air near the sensor the fan moves cooler air to the sensor and you get rapid cooling. The times you saw the spikes in temperature when the temperature trend was down were probably when the area where the sensor was located was cooling faster than the overall air temperature. I think you are just seeing normal heating from the sun. Even partial shade or overcast can still raise the temperature significantly. I suspect the information form Telsa that the heat was being triggered by the app was erroneous. (Not the first time we have seen incorrect information from a phone call to Tesla.)

Latest metric:

Today, it's 42F & drizzly with a cold wind - interior temp is 65F.

vs.

Yesterday, it was ~ 52F Sunny - interior temp was as high 104F.

So far - I think the theories I've seen :
1) Tesla OEM app is turning on the heat??
2) Cars ECU too close to temp sensor & emitting heat?
3) Greenhouse effect

Am I missing anything?

Who knows? It’s overcast today and cold. Drove car for lunch. Still had app off the phone. Interior was cool. Came back to the office. About half an hour ago reinstalled the app and connected to car. Temp was between the set point and ambient. Since app installed the temp is up more than 5 degrees even with climate not set to “on”. Did the wake up warm up the car?