Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car hibernation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't use my Model S for more than a few days, it apparently enters a deep hibernation using little or no power. This is fine, except waking up seems to take ten minutes or more, during which I hear various sliding noises from the chassis. The viewscreen remains black for most of this time, although the heater comes on. Once I had the viewscreen come on after a bit, but then freeze up and have to be rebooted. During normal use later, I tried to consult the on-screen manual, but mine has incomplete content at this time and won't mention this process. BTW the car is a 2013 P85.

Yes, but can you get going right away?
Not having access to my car's manual, I am not sure what they call it, but when I say the car goes into deep hibernation after some days, I mean very deep. Having to push on a handle is just the start. So I guess I am asking members, do they have the same experience that I wrote about in my opening message, about taking ten minutes to get the car ready to move.

cant say that I've had my car sit for multiple days at a time undriven since Ive had mine. (This whole pandemic thing has blocked my usual vacations out of the country)

However, there is a setting in the MCU menu that can keep your car awake at all times, if I recall

Good idea; I had looked in the menus for anything on hibernation, without success, but went back and found an option under "display" for "always connected." Not sure how this will affect allowing the car for a week, but I will report back, uh, in a while!

Good idea; I had looked in the menus for anything on hibernation, without success, but went back and found an option under "display" for "always connected." Not sure how this will affect allowing the car for a week, but I will report back, uh, in a while!
Always Connected should prevent the car from deep sleep and increase responsiveness when connecting via the app, etc. If that doesn't resolve the problem, the extended time to wake up might mean your MCU1 is starting to struggle. Tesla recommends freeing up memory by deleting all historical Nav destinations and resetting the Trip Meters (not sure why on that one).

Yes, but can you get going right away?
Not having access to my car's manual, I am not sure what they call it, but when I say the car goes into deep hibernation after some days, I mean very deep. Having to push on a handle is just the start. So I guess I am asking members, do they have the same experience that I wrote about in my opening message, about taking ten minutes to get the car ready to move.

I feel like it will happen if I have "energy saving" mode turned on. I forgot if that was under Vehicle or Display.

My car goes into a sleep mode when not used for a few days as well, but it seems to boot up in a minute or so. I have had the MCU1 repair, with a full replacement with a refurbished unit. I suspect the OP's car has MCU1 with a failing memory chip, because I seem to recall that slow reboots were one of the symptoms.
Lately, my car has displayed the message "Please wait for systems to start up" or words to that effect. It also says something like "Press brake pedal for 30 seconds to operate the car." This happened to me just this week after not using the car just for a few days. I pressed the brake pedal and it started after approximately the time indicated. Note the center screen does not go black in these instances, but sometimes the car starts without audio -- no radio, no turn signal sounds. In that instance, I do a forced reboot of the MCU and the audio comes on. This is a new behavior since the MCU replacement, and has happened twice on the past 10 days or so. The car can be driven while the MCU reboots, and it works, so I haven't worried about it. (After 5 years of driving my car, I am comfortable rebooting the MCU while driving.)

Sounds strange. 10 minutes to startup? My car with MCU1 sits for several days and I'd say it takes about 10-15 seconds to respond when I go to the car. Nope, I don't have it "always connected" either. I have it in the most energy saving settings. Surprised to hear OP say it takes 10 minutes. You must have put it in "Grizzly Bear Hibernation Mode" :D And I notice in TeslaFi that it is asleep all the time with very little daily loss.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
W ell, I never saw a setting for Grizzly bear hibernation, but that's apparently what the car did. However, just enabling "constantly connected" solved the problem completely, and I can rouse the car by phone immediately and get it warm. Note that I do keep the car plugged into a 110V outlet at all times, so also no longer needs to go Griz.

W ell, I never saw a setting for Grizzly bear hibernation, but that's apparently what the car did. However, just enabling "constantly connected" solved the problem completely, and I can rouse the car by phone immediately and get it warm. Note that I do keep the car plugged into a 110V outlet at all times, so also no longer needs to go Griz.
quicker response if you don't mind that the car will waste more energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl