Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car hit while parked in NYC; Sentry mode partial capture

Should I file a 3rd party claim with her insurance (same company as mine)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping for some advice!

I recently returned to my (5 month old) parked M3 in NYC to discover that an SUV was parked approx. 1/2 cm from the rear bumper. Sure enough, there was minor damage to the bumper (scratching, not dents, but enough to take the paint off to the metal). I could live with the damage (although the car is otherwise pristine so not fun), but would need to fix prior to selling the car and am concerned about rust.

Was in Sentry Mode while we were out. Because of this (thinking I could recover the damages with the video as evidence), I called the police and waited about 2 hours to have them come and write out a report. The report summarizes my description of the incident to the officer, states that the other driver left the scene of the accident (which is what happened after she refused to admit causing the damage) and includes the driver's contact & insurance information.

I was planning to report the accident directly to her insurance company, but have a few concerns:

1. Any chance that my own insurance goes up? I cannot imagine why that would be the case, but I read that apparently even discussing the possibility of filing a claim with your insurance company in any form has been known to raise rates?

2. The side repeater video clearly shows her vehicle approaching the parallel parking spot (including plate number clearly visible), and shows her backing in and then pulling forward toward my rear bumper, but it stops at the exact second that she must have hit the vehicle. Unfortunately the clips are only 60 seconds after being activated by motion I guess? There is a 2nd clip a minute or so afterward showing her walking around my vehicle and bending over to look at the bumper, which to me indicates that she clearly had a concern, but there is not literally video of her car hitting mine unfortunately.
    Sidenote - would have been great to have recording from the rear camera in this case :(

3. Turns out that her insurance company is actually the same as mine, so they would know that I'm filing the claim (even though the accident isn't my fault).

4. I read that NY is a no-fault state, but am a little unclear re: how this would apply to this situation. Seems like the 'no-fault' regs may only be in relation to injuries? Difficult to find clear information online.

I don't mind spending the time/effort on the claims process, but is there a chance that in some strange way this could end up raising my rates? Appreciate any/all advice!

I was parked in Berkeley in a perpendicular parking spot. I was waiting inside the car while wifey was running a errand. . Noticed a lady pull in to my right as she was existing her car she hit my passenger door causing 7 inch gouge. She proceeded to walk away and I confronted her. She denied hitting it. Made her open her door and see that her door lines up perfectly to the damage area. Then she accuses me of parking funny but I said are you serious, Sentry mode did catch it. Got her information but no insurance card and she went on her way. Was on the phone with my insurance getting advice and lady returns to her car and hits my car again. I confronted her a second time and she denies hitting it again. Got that one on video as well. Sent claim to my insurance and said since it was parked there would be no ding on my insurance, I am filing a claim using my insurance since just to speed things up,. Hopefully I wll recapture my deductable. i

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic and KenC
My bumper got the tiniest of self-inflicted wounds which I was able to touch up with a paint kit I got online. The damage was quite small and most wouldn't notice it but now it's even hard for me to find. But, the bumper is not metal and the cover won't rust. Doesn't mean you don't have the right to a fix if you can prove who damaged it..

Reactions: duanra
Check underneath the bumper where it meets the aero panel. There are a number of push fasteners, they could have popped out or otherwise damaged the aero panel. You know the one that if not fastened properly the bumper cover will fall off because it will act like a scoop for rain water.

Tesla looking into reports that heavy rain caused Model 3 rear bumpers to fall off

Have your sensors checked also, they can be expensive to repair/replace.

I recently returned to my (5 month old) parked M3 in NYC to discover that an SUV was parked approx. 1/2 cm from the rear bumper. Sure enough, there was minor damage to the bumper (scratching, not dents, but enough to take the paint off to the metal). I could live with the damage (although the car is otherwise pristine so not fun), but would need to fix prior to selling the car and am concerned about rust.

First of all, if you live and park in NYC, bumper scratches from people parking by brill, is the right of passage.
Look around. Every car is like that.
Yours will be the same real soon.

Bumpers are plastic, so there is nothing to rust there.

Exhale, relax.
Have a drink.
First bump/scratch/ding is always the most painful. From here on out, it's all "fuggetaboutit".

Was in Sentry Mode while we were out. Because of this (thinking I could recover the damages with the video as evidence), I called the police and waited about 2 hours to have them come and write out a report. The report summarizes my description of the incident to the officer, states that the other driver left the scene of the accident (which is what happened after she refused to admit causing the damage) and includes the driver's contact & insurance information.

Left the scene of an accident?
Are you kidding me?
What accident?

You have ZERO proof that the other driver contacted your bumper!
As you had publicly confessed earlier, she was parked 1/2 cm away.
Case dismissed!

I don't mind spending the time/effort on the claims process, but is there a chance that in some strange way this could end up raising my rates? Appreciate any/all advice!

No NY-ka would raise an eye brow over anything short of blood and body parts on the hood. You must be an out-of-towner?

To answer your Qs:
1. Yes, if you insist on reporting and repairing that damage that can't be conclusively adjudicated to a 3rd party.
2. You have ZERO evidence that anyone has hit your bumper, let alone the SUV in question.
3. Now you KNOW the claim will get processed under your comprehensive policy, since no 3rd party is at fault. Deductible will apply if you insist on repairing the scratch.
4. There was no accident, since there is no evidence of one. You are filing a comprehensive claim against a bumper scratch that you, or anyone else, may have inflicted on your car, at any point in time.

Be don't be THAT guy who is freaking out over a cosmetic bumper scratch!

a

First of all, if you live and park in NYC, bumper scratches from people parking by brill, is the right of passage.
Look around. Every car is like that.
Yours will be the same real soon.

Bumpers are plastic, so there is nothing to rust there.

Exhale, relax.
Have a drink.
First bump/scratch/ding is always the most painful. From here on out, it's all "fuggetaboutit".

Left the scene of an accident?
Are you kidding me?
What accident?

You have ZERO proof that the other driver contacted your bumper!
As you had publicly confessed earlier, she was parked 1/2 cm away.
Case dismissed!

No NY-ka would raise an eye brow over anything short of blood and body parts on the hood. You must be an out-of-towner?

To answer your Qs:
1. Yes, if you insist on reporting and repairing that damage that can't be conclusively adjudicated to a 3rd party.
2. You have ZERO evidence that anyone has hit your bumper, let alone the SUV in question.
3. Now you KNOW the claim will get processed under your comprehensive policy, since no 3rd party is at fault. Deductible will apply if you insist on repairing the scratch.
4. There was no accident, since there is no evidence of one. You are filing a comprehensive claim against a bumper scratch that you, or anyone else, may have inflicted on your car, at any point in time.

Be don't be THAT guy who is freaking out over a cosmetic bumper scratch!

a

To everyone...

Be you.

If you like to keep your car immaculate......do it.

And if you want to park in Manhattan or any other big city, there’s always this option:
Bumper Bully - Outdoor Parking Bumper Protector, Bumper Protection, Rear Bumper Guard

I live and park in NYC, and I also keep one of these folded in my trunk all the time. It folds flat into the trunk, with the velcro parts on the cover piece that opens into the under-compartment. I try to remember to fold it out every time I park in a parallel parking spot that has a chance of another car being behind me. It has saved me at least once from a parking ding on the rear bumper. That one time, the car behind me was parked 1 inch from my rear bumper, and I saw a slight dent into the plastic of the bumper guard, but nothing on my car's bumper underneath.

NY is no fault, as you mentioned. So it doesn’t matter. No one is at fault. You still get your insurance increased. Just find out how much to replace the bumper before you file. Might not be worth it to submit the claim.
I don't live in NY but it looks like no-fault only applies to injuries.

I'm pretty sure Michigan is the only state dumb enough to have a No Fault law that applies to vehicle damage also. I'm still bitter about being rear-ended in MI while stopped at a yield sign, and now having to check the "has your insurance paid for damage from an accident in the last 5 years?" box on all insurance applications.

Reactions: karn101