Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car idling for hours at home/work before sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Using Teslafi. Sentry mode not active at home or work. No summon.

Teslafi shows car idling for 2 - 3 hours before sleep. I can see from the raw data that Teslafi seems to be sending sleep commands but car won’t sleep for ages. I think my Teslafi sleep options are normal - and it is trying to sleep the car it seems.

It doesn’t seem to be related to a software update etc and it’s happened daily, twice a day for days now.

Anyone have any ideas? I am losing 1-2 miles range every time. In a SR+ that’s problematic!

Happy to post raw log entries if that will help?

I was looking into this for another user, but thats all gone off the boil. However, my observations during that time were:

Probably once per day, some extended communication seems to take place between car and somewhere. During this period, car remains idle. For us, it seems to occur immediately after the drive from home each evening. Seems to consume just over 0.5kWh in energy.

If communicating over wifi, this period seems to last longer (>2hr) than when on mobile (<2hr). I've not bothered to sniff the data yet, so not sure if difference in time is because wifi is slower, or more data is being transferred hence taking longer.

Lots of theories what this data actually is.

Sorry to say, but sounds like if 1-2 mile range loss is a problem rather than just an inconvenience, you probably would have been better off with the longer range car. Range is everything.

Reactions: Roy W.
Rather than telling it to sleep, all teslafi is able to do is give it some time to sleep of its own accord. Usually teslafi tries this by leaving the car for 15 minutes and not asking the car how it feels every 60 seconds in those 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up teslafi then asks Tesla HQ (not the car) if your car is asleep or not.

Do you have any other services you've given your tesla credentials to which could be keeping it awake? or are you (or anyone else) opening the tesla app during this time?

Reactions: Rooster6655
Rather than telling it to sleep, all teslafi is able to do is give it some time to sleep of its own accord. Usually teslafi tries this by leaving the car for 15 minutes and not asking the car how it feels every 60 seconds in those 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up teslafi then asks Tesla HQ (not the car) if your car is asleep or not.

Do you have any other services you've given your tesla credentials to which could be keeping it awake? or are you (or anyone else) opening the tesla app during this time?

I did briefly setup "Dashboard for Tesla" on Android but I logged out and deleted app (it doesn't have a server component apparently). I will change my Tesla password now but I doubt this is the issue.

Thanks for the info on Teslafi - its language is confusing. It talks about "trying to sleep" (suggesting a positive action) but yes on deeper inspection, its just pausing polling. Interesting.

Hi,

Using Teslafi. Sentry mode not active at home or work. No summon.

Teslafi shows car idling for 2 - 3 hours before sleep. I can see from the raw data that Teslafi seems to be sending sleep commands but car won’t sleep for ages. I think my Teslafi sleep options are normal - and it is trying to sleep the car it seems.

It doesn’t seem to be related to a software update etc and it’s happened daily, twice a day for days now.

Anyone have any ideas? I am losing 1-2 miles range every time. In a SR+ that’s problematic!

Happy to post raw log entries if that will help?

If you leave the car alone it will stay idle for up to 4 hrs every 28 hours, if you drive the car this idle time is often reduced.

During idle time the amount of mileage used is based on the temperature outside, I tested this for weeks and have the teslafi data.

I would:

Change password in My Tesla
Turn off all possible background power uses (Sentry mode, Smart preconditioning, Cabin Overheat Protection etc.)
Only re-activate password on TeslaFi. Set appropriate locations to Sleep / Deep Sleep (i.e. in TeslaFi). Disable any scheduled events in TeslaFi

Wait 24 / 48 hours to see how TeslaFi records sleep, and if range-loss becomes acceptable

Re-enable other APP(s) that you use. If range loss becomes unacceptable give up on that APP

I think your car is behaving normally, but there is no doubt compared to a few months ago, the car is idling for much longer than it ever used to. Whether that’s by design or some sort of bug I’ve no idea, knowing Tesla it could easily be either!

Your TeslaFi settings are normal. One thing I have noticed with the sleep attempts that don’t work, if you start a journey during one TeslaFi wouldn’t pick up the data until it start polling again. E.G yesterday I did a 5 mile journey with an average speed of 30mph and TeslaFi said the journey took 5 minutes :rolleyes:. When I looked at the map of the journey TeslaFi only started polling when I was halfway there.

My car has been idling for 16 hours straight, have disconnected wifi, stopped data sharing, switched bluetooth off (phone), gone through Teslafi settings..anything else I can try?

First question - how do you know? Most ways of finding out if the car is asleep, will themselves keep the car awake :)

things to try:
Have you gone through the checklist here My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

some of the more obscure ones:
Cabin Overheat protection (disable)
Sentry mode (disable)
tesla.com account (change password to disable all third-party api access

• Helpful
Reactions: Christiez
First question - how do you know? Most ways of finding out if the car is asleep, will themselves keep the car awake :)

things to try:
Have you gone through the checklist here My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

Sentry mode (disable)

Cheers for the feedback, totally get what you're saying as checking on the state of the car is likely to wake.

I guess my concern is, nothing that I'm aware of has changed and car would usually sleep within an hour or 2 at most. Only a couple of weeks ago I left the car for 5 days and lost 4% but yesterday I lost 9% which is concerning.

I'll have a good look through at the Teslafi link to make sure I've not missed anything.

things to try:

Sentry mode (disable)

actually calling the GET https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles/{id} end point will tell you if it's online or sleeping but will not actually wake it up or stop it from sleeping so you can safely find out if its awake or asleep.