TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car in deep sleep (was HELP - Battery died in airport parking)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2BEnhanced, Aug 27, 2018.

1. 2BEnhanced

2BEnhanced Member

I parked my car in a remote lot (The Parking Spot) at LAX. I had 20% battery when I parked. I have been in EU for 4 days. I just checked my Tesla App from EU as I am about to fly back home. It is reporting my car at 0%(----) battery! I have never had that much drain before. Any thoughts on how this happened (sw ver 2018.28.5)? Will my car move at all to get to a charger? Thanks!

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

You'll need a tow unfortunately. parking a car at 20% unplugged for more than a day is never recommended.

• Like x 3
  3. RYCO

RYCO Member

I left mine charged to 80% and went out of town for 2 weeks for work. I checked the app and it said 0% battery after several days. But when I got back, it seemed like the car was just in a deep sleep and it still had 70 something % left. Maybe it's not really totally dead yet.

• Helpful x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  4. BruceW

BruceW Member

Tesla's left at airports unplugged seem to be a recurrent problem, but one I have not had. I recently (like a week ago) came back to the USA after 12 days in Europe, having left my S100D (unplugged) in the JFK long term parking lot. When I parked the car, it showed 268 rated miles range. When I came back, it showed 265 rated miles range, well less than 1% loss. Here is what I did:

1. Set always connected to OFF
    2. Turn Energy Savings ON
    3. Set Smart preconditioning to OFF
    4. Set Cabin overheat protection to OFF
    5. Make sure climate control is OFF
    6. Unplug/turn off Dashcam
    7. Cover car with a car cover (I use the EVANNEX cover, no affiliation)
    8. Never checked on the car while gone, as it wakes the car up and uses power.

I actually have a "shut-down" check list to make sure I remember everything. I followed the same procedures prior to this latest trip and had similar results, loss of 11 rated miles over 14 days---I forgot to unplug the dashcam (thus the check list).

So, sorry I can't help this time, but maybe this will help next time.

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. Corsair

Corsair Member

Same thing with mine but but parked at home garaged. App started showing 0% charge and - km 3 days after leaving town. Car shows as unlocked as well.

It’s a bit unnerving as I won’t get home until end of this week.

6. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

We frequently park our Model S in the airport garage in PHX no less (it's almost always over 100F there!) s- and with:

Always connected "off"
    Cabin overheat protection "off"
    Energy Savings "on"
    Smart Preconditioning "off"

it uses between 2 and 3 miles of range per day - We never check on it while we are away from it, that indeed would wake it up from the deep sleep that it goes into while left in this condition, and would use miles. We've never had an issue, although I doubt if I'd be willing to park it at 20% for more than a day or two, we usually have between 175 and 200 miles of range on our S85 when we park it in the garage at the airport. We've not parked it yet with the latest firmware, but based upon what we see in our own garage after a day or two, I think it will be the same. YMMV

• Like x 1
  7. appleguru

appleguru Member

Highly doubt it is actually dead; likely just in deep sleep to preserve the battery. Stop trying to check on it with the app; that wakes it up (usually) and will cause higher drain!

Let us know when you get back what you have left. I predict >10% unless you’ve been gone for more than a week. And charge it back up ASAP!

• Like x 1
  8. Need

Need Active Member

If you park Valet at the The Parking Spot at LAX, they have a J1772 lv2 to charge up your car while you are away.

• Like x 1
  9. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I hate to ask the obvious, why in the world would you go on a trip for 4 days leaving car @ 20% knowing the potential daily loss could be ~ 5% a day?

• Like x 1
  10. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

All of those on the checklist from previous poster are great recommendations.
    But for me (here in Hot Texas)it seems the biggest killer is the “cabin overheat protection” it seems to cycle off and on all day out in the sun and I can lose 10 miles a day at work sometimes.

11. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

While it’s not recommended, it is certainly absurd to lose 20% in 4 days.

• Funny x 1
  12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Cabin overheat is only active for the first 24 hours.

• Informative x 1
  13. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Interesting. I didnt know that. I watch it while I’m at work most of time and check on range loss. Haven’t left it for an extended period in the heat.
    Thanks

14. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

Sounds like Tesla should add a "deep sleep" button on the MCU to do this for you.

• Like x 2
  15. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

Except the car cover part... :)

16. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Indeed the Cabin overheat is only active for the first 24 hours after it's parked, that I can confirm from experience.

17. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla should provide a single setting to maximize energy saving - and also provide a way to set this from the Tesla app, in case you forget when leaving the car.

• Like x 5
  18. dethman

dethman Member

Maybe like an OFF button. No data, no climate, everything OFF. Should be easier than this craziness outlined:

19. 2BEnhanced

2BEnhanced Member

Thanks all. Good news is RYCO and appleguru were right. Car was in deep sleep when I got to car and took a few minutes while systems started up. My car went from 24% to 23% and only lost 4 miles with leaving all the checklist items ON. (Overheat wasn’t an issue is covered garage).

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 4
  20. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

A single off button isn't necessary, You really only need the first two plus don't check on the car while gone:

Always connected: OFF
    Energy Savings: ON

Smart pre-conditioning is something that maybe nice if you leave at the same time everyday, but I sort of doubt it would use any energy because it's not a "regular" thing to park in the airport

As stated above Cabin overheat is only active for 24 hours

If you have an always on Dash Cam, that is something to think about, but most don't even have a dash cam-

My experience has been as I stated above 2-3 miles per day with just the first two and not accessing the car while gone.