Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in for annual service, and received AP loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my S85 in for its annual service at Tranmere. Also to get the winter tires put on.
I really lucked out: the loaner I received was a P85+ with AP hardware. I was blown away by the AP performance and how accurately it stayed in the lane. Did some extra driving last night to test it out, and it works very well.

A few notes about service changes (YMMV, these are from a service advisor):
-The price to store your tires there has gone down from $100 to $85.
-I can't remember their exact wording, but I understood that the brakes are no longer covered under annual service. There is also a winter brake package that we can get that costs $75.00 (or good will if you complain about noisy brakes). It helps reduce the brake noise in cold weather climates.
-I believe they mentioned the pay as you go service will increase by a few hundred dollars.
-I was on version 7. I got updated to 2.777.7 which has the clock and temperature on the driver's console.
-When asked about the Extended Warranty, they were under the impression it was $200 deductible per visit, not per incident. It will be interesting to see if this holds true or changes.

-I can't remember their exact wording, but I understood that the brakes are no longer covered under annual service.

They seem to be working hard to strip back the awesome service they were promising. Transforming Automotive Service | Tesla Motors

Unlike service contracts at most automotive companies, Tesla Service includes all replacement parts such as wiper blades and brake pads that wear out from day-to-day driving, excluding tires.

That said, reading the fine print of the service plan agreement, it does exclude brakes:

This Agreement is only for the maintenance services specified in this Agreement and does not cover
certain parts, including the Battery and tires, or any Vehicle damage or malfunction included or excluded
from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Your Vehicle.

Brakes were excluded from the warranty, so they're excluded from the service plan. They've covered their butts on this one.

the loaner I received was a P85+ with AP hardware.

There is also a winter brake package that we can get that costs $75.00 (or good will if you complain about noisy brakes). It helps reduce the brake noise in cold weather climates.

Is that loaner a white car with grey 21's? If so, drove that mid-summer as a loaner, and boy, it was traction limited, and it was FUN to drive. ;-)

Yes, Tesla updated our Tesla to the winter brake package and included it as good will. It was thoughtful gesture given that we purchased via CPO and specifically mentioned that we drove the most in winter on many road trips with a car full of kids (winter team sports) and therefore safety was a major reason we bought the car. They took that seriously, and we appreciate it.

Is that loaner a white car with grey 21's? If so, drove that mid-summer as a loaner, and boy, it was traction limited, and it was FUN to drive. ;-)

I think I had the same loaner. I have to say that the radar-controlled cruise control is supremely useful on the 401. It makes it a whole lot less stressful.

It is rare to find a P85+ with the autopilot hardware. Tesla hasn't listed the car for sale - I wonder how long they'll hold onto it as a loaner.

This one was silver, and only had 14000 km on it.
After driving it for a day, I was starting to think how much I would get if I traded in my car with 65000 km for the loaner. :smile:
Apparently they haven't had it too long, and were surprised to get it. I think they purposely gave it to me to try to get me to upgrade. :rolleyes:

I think I had the same loaner. I have to say that the radar-controlled cruise control is supremely useful on the 401. It makes it a whole lot less stressful.

It is rare to find a P85+ with the autopilot hardware. Tesla hasn't listed the car for sale - I wonder how long they'll hold onto it as a loaner.

This one was silver, and only had 14000 km on it.
After driving it for a day, I was starting to think how much I would get if I traded in my car with 65000 km for the loaner. :smile:
Apparently they haven't had it too long, and were surprised to get it. I think they purposely gave it to me to try to get me to upgrade. :rolleyes:

If they want to get me to upgrade, they're going to have to give me a P85D loaner. :)

(And a winning lottery ticket.)

I too have a classic S, and my service center gave me an AP loaner car for a routine service appointment. Blown away, I was. I'm in line for an X, so that'll be my upgrade. But if not for that, I would be upgrading to a new Model S for sure!

They seem to be working hard to strip back the awesome service they were promising. Transforming Automotive Service | Tesla Motors

That said, reading the fine print of the service plan agreement, it does exclude brakes:

Brakes were excluded from the warranty, so they're excluded from the service plan. They've covered their butts on this one.
Hum... I still have 10 days left to make a call on whether I should get that service plan or not. I have a S85D and I did 3500km in 6 weeks, so about 30,000km/year. I am really trying to find a valid reason to get that plan, but I can't. I was planning on calling HQ tomorrow and ask them to "convince" me to buy it, but it seems like they are getting closer to "regular" car manufacturers... That makes me really sad since their historical outstanding service was one of the reasons why I bought a Tesla 2 months ago.

@PweredByRain I got a P85D loaner first visit, then an 85D. The P85D was fully loaded. The 85D, they spec'd it to what I originally ordered but changed my mind. Yes, they really try to convince you to upgrade without saying a word.

@Ladoe00 Get the service plan. It is cheaper in the long run. Locks your price in. I got it for 8 service checks. Yes, it says 20k km or every 12 months but I was reassured that if you pay for 8 service visits, you will get 8 regardless of miles. It also gives me unlimited tire rotations for free since I got my tires from elsewhere.

I need to correct my last comment. It seems it all depends what service center you are dealing with and they are not all the same. Some will honor the 4/8 service visits you paid for regardless of miles and others will not. It turns out my local one in Vancouver, BC will not. They told me I should take the car in every 6 months instead of a year based on my driving pattern. So in my case, not a good investment for getting the service plan. Hopefully I will get other freebies for taking it in so often.