Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in Shop waiting for Headlights which are on National Backorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me know if this belongs in a different section. Im half looking for help/suggestions and half just venting my frustration

So I got in a minor accident (not at fault) in my 2021 LR M3 just before Christmas. A car hit my front drivers side corner so the major pieces i needed to replace are the bumper, drivers side front fender and drivers side headlight. I took my car to my local Tesla-Certified body shop in Jan for them to look at. Due to their high volume they couldn't get me on their schedule to drop my car off until 2/15 which i did. The shop got all of the work done in the first week, however the replacement headlight they received turned out to be defective. They ordered a new one and are still waiting for it 3 weeks later and still do not have a delivery date for the order and told me that Tesla headlights are on national back order. This is incredibly frustrating! i love my car and hate having to drive the ICE rental car ive had for the past month.

Today, after calling the body shop (again) they suggested i contact tesla to be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. i started calling around to my local service centers to see if they had any parts in stock but no dice. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to reach out to tesla's corporate office to complain? I understand supply chain issues but obviously they are still shipping new vehicles with headlights so they have to have supplies of the parts. I found a contact number online but it just lead to an automated service and i couldnt get a person on the phone (other than being transferred to my local service center, which i have already contacted). any ideas? i did tweet at Elon today but thats a haill mary at best.

You can try what I posted below on this previously. No idea if it works but you can start there:

I have no idea if this is still accurate, but some older information on TMC in a few threads had the following information. You can try this, but again, I have zero idea if it still exists, the support workflow, etc.

=================================

For Body shop or collision repair issues, you can get a Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate to assist you by emailing us ([email protected]) or calling 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4)

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I understand supply chain issues but obviously they are still shipping new vehicles with headlights so they have to have supplies of the parts.
But are the new cars shipping with the same/compatible headlights as what you need? As far as I know new Model 3s now come with the newer "matrix" headlights.

Did your body shop give you the part number for what you need?

But are the new cars shipping with the same/compatible headlights as what you need? As far as I know new Model 3s now come with the newer "matrix" headlights.

Did your body shop give you the part number for what you need?
the shop did not give me the part number, maybe ill get that from them. my car is a 2021 which i know have the new headlights (compared to the 2020 and earlier model years) not sure if they switched to a newer version since i took deliver in March of last year

Looks like im stuck in the same boat, but with the misfortune of not being a preorder and just not having my car.

edit: curious if its just headlights or if there are other parts on backorder?

It depends on the part but there's a lot on backorder. Sometimes it's the most random thing. Most of the time, we don't have an ETA at all and we work pretty closely with them. It's crazy it'll improve for a bit and then spiral back into utter chaos.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

Why not go this route?

^^^

Agreed. There seem to be plenty of used headlight fixtures on eBay. I'd be more than willing to go that route if it meant getting my car back faster.

Damn, that's crazy. I have an early 2021, so the older headlights. Which ones are being the problem: The old ones, or the new ones??? Will make sure to delete any crashed from my schedule, so I don't have that issue. Ha ha. Good luck OP.