Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Inaccessible Via App After Some Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to Tesla SC today. Apparently it’s a newer known issue since 2022.28.2. The connectivity on Tesla end is via an ATT service and there is an issue as per them with that. They are working on a resolution, it will require a software/firmware update. They told me to enable sentry mode to keep the car from going to sleep while at work. I am hoping we see a software update next couple of weeks?

Spoke to Tesla SC today. Apparently it’s a newer known issue since 2022.28.2. The connectivity on Tesla end is via an ATT service and there is an issue as per them with that. They are working on a resolution, it will require a software/firmware update. They told me to enable sentry mode to keep the car from going to sleep while at work. I am hoping we see a software update next couple of weeks?
Thanks for the info - Interesting, my thought that it was a software issue since I can pinpoint this problem to my last update.

Well, I’m on 2022.24.5, with this issue, so clearly it started before 2022.28.2…

We have this issue also on our 2022 RWD model 3 also. My 2018 AWD version doesn’t have the problem.
The first time it occurred, (started gradually) the car wouldn’t even open with the phone.
Key card was home hours away. Had it towed.
After a lot of back and forth, they replaced the entire computer.
Seemed to have fixed the problem.
Nope….
New computer has been in about two weeks. Problem started coming back again. Starts by just not connecting from time to time for short times. Then gets worse.
Clearly a new computer isn’t the fix.
I’m going to leave WIFI off, and sentry always on, and wait for a firmware fix. :(

We have this issue also on our 2022 RWD model 3 also. My 2018 AWD version doesn’t have the problem.
The first time it occurred, (started gradually) the car wouldn’t even open with the phone.
Nope….
New computer has been in about two weeks. Problem started coming back again. Starts by just not connecting from time to time for short times. Then gets worse.
I’m going to leave WIFI off, and sentry always on, and wait for a firmware fix. :(

That's odd. When you couldn't get the car to respond even via local BT with your phone, did you try pulling the door handle to wake it up, and then try again with your phone? Yours sounds like a different (more serious) issue, potentially...

Nope….
Try you card key for a bit and see if that works consistently.

That's odd. When you couldn't get the car to respond even via local BT with your phone, did you try pulling the door handle to wake it up, and then try again with your phone? Yours sounds like a different (more serious) issue, potentially...
Yup. Tried everything. Even Tesla couldn’t remotely wake the car up, or access it.
It continued to have problems connecting to the app, but never locked out again like that. They eventually replaced the computer. Now it seems to be slowly having issues again. Very strange.
Try you card key for a bit and see if that works consistently.
The key card works no problem. So does the blue tooth on the phone. (Except that one time). The car opens with the phone no problem. Just won’t allow any functions from the app, because it won’t connect. Again, this is intermittent.
But is getting worse again. I’m assuming it’s software related, but not sure anymore. ?

Yup. Tried everything. Even Tesla couldn’t remotely wake the car up, or access it.
It continued to have problems connecting to the app, but never locked out again like that. They eventually replaced the computer. Now it seems to be slowly having issues again. Very strange.

The key card works no problem. So does the blue tooth on the phone. (Except that one time). The car opens with the phone no problem. Just won’t allow any functions from the app, because it won’t connect. Again, this is intermittent.
But is getting worse again. I’m assuming it’s software related, but not sure anymore. ?
That's really quite odd... That one time not working via BT is disturbing, though I do always have the key card with me at all times, just in case... What software revision are you on?

That's really quite odd... That one time not working via BT is disturbing, though I do always have the key card with me at all times, just in case... What software revision are you on?
Keep in mind, my 2018 model 3 has never once locked me out. I never carry the key card as a result.
This is either a new hardware with new software glitch, or a hardware problem.
Since the computer is new, now I’m leaning towards it being a new hardware/ software incompatibility or glitch.
Not sure yet.

Keep in mind, my 2018 model 3 has never once locked me out. I never carry the key card as a result.
This is either a new hardware with new software glitch, or a hardware problem.
Since the computer is new, now I’m leaning towards it being a new hardware/ software incompatibility or glitch.
Not sure yet.
Probably. I’m still waiting on the next update to see if it fixes it.

Reactions: M109Rider
Have the same on my M3.
I think it happens when I am on my office wifi during the day and surprisingly after my attempt to open app and connect to the car being on that particular wifi. Seems like if I switch off wifi and trying to connect being on cellular it works.
However if I ever try to connect from that wifi, get "last seen..." for ages than it won't connect ever again even if switching wifi off.
Very odd.
Deleting app/installing it again helps to fix until next attempt to connect from the office wifi.

Have the same on my M3.
I think it happens when I am on my office wifi during the day and surprisingly after my attempt to open app and connect to the car being on that particular wifi. Seems like if I switch off wifi and trying to connect being on cellular it works.
However if I ever try to connect from that wifi, get "last seen..." for ages than it won't connect ever again even if switching wifi off.
Very odd.
Deleting app/installing it again helps to fix until next attempt to connect from the office wifi.
It’s more than just wifi at my end. Sometimes when the car sleeps, the app won’t wake it.
Even sitting in the car with wifi off. Can’t be the computer, because they put a new one in. Same problem.
I suppose it could be the LTE receiver being spotty, but that doesn’t make sense that a receiver would be intermittent. I honestly don’t know if the LTE receiver/transmitter is on the computer or separate.

I called SC again today, they told me to contact them after my visit 2 weeks later to see if they have more info. Supposedly they tell me it is a known issue and it will require a future firmware update. I asked them if I bought a brand new Model Y would it do the same thing? I did not get a solid answer…..

I called SC again today, they told me to contact them after my visit 2 weeks later to see if they have more info. Supposedly they tell me it is a known issue and it will require a future firmware update. I asked them if I bought a brand new Model Y would it do the same thing? I did not get a solid answer…..
We have a brand new model 3, and it’s having the problem. My 2018 model 3 is fine.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
If you buy a brand new model Y, I’ll swap it with my 2108 model 3, and guarantee you won’t have the problem ever again.
I’ll take my chances with the new one. Just for you. :)

Reactions: brkaus