Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car insists to navigate to a supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Droschke

Mar 8, 2015
Future
For the past few months, very often when I get in the car to go somewhere, I see the navigation is calculating a route to a supercharger. It's a supercharger about 30 miles from me and not set by me (or anyone else) to navigate to. This particular supercharger is not even in my navigation destination history. I obviously have to cancel it each time. This is very puzzling. The car has been through the last few updates and multiple reboots but none has cleared this unintended navigation.

Anyone else has seen this problem?

Had it happen once.

Had 28% battery left, about 25F and 50 miles to get home from work. Instead of automatically routing me home it directed me to the nearest Supercharger aa the nav system didn’t think I would make it due to the cold-soaked battery.

It was a SC that I had never used before.

Had it happen once.

Had 28% battery left, about 25F and 50 miles to get home from work. Instead of automatically routing me home it directed me to the nearest Supercharger aa the nav system didn’t think I would make it due to the cold-soaked battery.

It was a SC that I had never used before.

Mine happens before you actually start driving first thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Any chance you've used the app to look at the charging screen and selected the supercharger there? If you do, the app sends that destination to the car.

No chance. I'm very familiar with the sharing the map destination with the Tesla app and how it works. Even if it happens to someone by mistake or intentionally, once you cancel it once it shouldn't be persistent as it's the case here. It's a bug.

Failing MCU memory? Your car does fall into the grouping for that problem. But @Ludalicious has the same issue with a newer car. So, yeah definitely a bug but no data indicating widespread. I'd go with a hardware issue.

Thanks. Would you elaborate on the "failing MCU memory" part? How would that cause a car to keep navigating to a specific supercharger?

Actually, it happened again this morning when I got inside and it was already calculating the route.

My theory: You have a "work" address that is significantly far away. If you have no calendar entries and you leave home in the morning, the car automatically loads in the "work" destination (it's a feature). But yours is far away, so it tells you to Supercharge so you can make it. To fix this, you can either change your work address, or turn off the automatic loading of destinations.

My theory: You have a "work" address that is significantly far away. If you have no calendar entries and you leave home in the morning, the car automatically loads in the "work" destination (it's a feature). But yours is far away, so it tells you to Supercharge so you can make it. To fix this, you can either change your work address, or turn off the automatic loading of destinations.

Interesting. Where do I turn off the automatic loading of destinations?

I actually have to turn off that auto destination feature. It doesn't know that my schedule is 4am to 2pm. So when I need it, it never shows up thinking that 4am is too early to go to work. On the day that I am not working, it shows up every morning trying to take me to work at 8am.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Just following up here... Missed the "failing MCU memory" question.

Over time, the write cycles on what amounts to the hard drive (it's like a SSD) for the MCU exceeds the useful life. Lots of discussion on the forum about that. Eventually, the part cannot find enough spare bits and starts to simply not work. It causes all kinds of issues in the MCU one of which could be navigation errors. Also cleaning out past navigation destinations is a good thing to do periodically. Apparently, they take up a lot of space in memory.

But I kinda agree with @Dithermaster that your work location is what the car is trying to navigate to and it needs a stop at a SuC to get there. Try letting the navigation finish and see if it has planned a route like that. Navigating to work or whatever was in your calendar was a new feature a few iterations back so it might coincide with you seeing the issue.

Anyway, let us know what you found out.

Update:

After deleting the work address and disabling the "Automatic Navigation", I'm no longer experiencing the issue reported in Post#1. I did not even know the new feature "Automatic Navigation", which I do not need at all, is enabled by default.

At this time, I consider my issue resolved.

Many thanks to @Dithermaster (specially) and @Need for the guidance :)

Update:

After deleting the work address and disabling the "Automatic Navigation", I'm no longer experiencing the issue reported in Post#1. I did not even know the new feature "Automatic Navigation", which I do not need at all, is enabled by default.

At this time, I consider my issue resolved.

Many thanks to @Dithermaster (specially) and @Need for the guidance :)

Yeah ditto. I was wondering why every morning I got in my car and it was telling me how to get to work. I know how to get to work; don't have alzeimers yet; makes no sense. I suppose this would be useful to all those drivers in California and they could use the traffic feature in navigation to determine which is the best way to go given some traffic interruptions? Do they do this on a daily basis? but for me it is useless. After 3 days of this I investigated that the latest update had turned on automatic navigation by default. Off and it will stay that way.