Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Insurance and the Ludicrous Mode upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have a Model S 90D and was thinking about getting the Ludicrous Mode upgrade. However, I have a few questions about the insurance.

As this would technically be classed as an aftermarket modification that significantly affects the car's performance will this affect the insurance cost?

If it does affect the insurance cost can someone recommend a UK-based Insurance company that I could use? Lots of companies in the UK aren't keen on insuring cars with aftermarket modifications.

Thanks!

Maybe things are different in the UK, but in the US you don’t really have to tell the insurance company about aftermarket options unless you require coverage for those options. If your premium increased due to aftermarket options, you would have to weigh the additional cost against the risk of not getting coverage for those options if you total the car (for example).

Upvote 0
Hi! I have a Model S 90D and was thinking about getting the Ludicrous Mode upgrade. However, I have a few questions about the insurance.

As this would technically be classed as an aftermarket modification that significantly affects the car's performance will this affect the insurance cost?

If it does affect the insurance cost can someone recommend a UK-based Insurance company that I could use? Lots of companies in the UK aren't keen on insuring cars with aftermarket modifications.

Thanks!
You can't add Ludicrous to a 90D. The car must be a P90D (or P100D or even some P85D.... key is the "P" for Performance) to be able to have Ludicrous as an option.

Reactions: BigNick
Upvote 0
This is interesting. Usually insurance companies go directly by the VIN. As mention you usually can obtain additional insurance coverage on aftermarket components. Haven't heard of increases with performance parts. Not sure if it's an option today, but I remember performance cars having higher insurance where as people would purchase the non performance variant. The only difference would be the badging. Engine the same.

Upvote 0
This is interesting. Usually insurance companies go directly by the VIN. As mention you usually can obtain additional insurance coverage on aftermarket components. Haven't heard of increases with performance parts. Not sure if it's an option today, but I remember performance cars having higher insurance where as people would purchase the non performance variant. The only difference would be the badging. Engine the same.
Yeah, that's my worry. I'm insured for the car right now, but if I get the Ludicrous Mode upgrade then it's has the same performance increase as the adding turbos or a supercharger onto a petrol engine car. It increases the performance of the car so it seems like it must affect the insurance somehow but I can't find any information on it anywhere.

Upvote 0
Maybe things are different in the UK, but in the US you don’t really have to tell the insurance company about aftermarket options unless you require coverage for those options. If your premium increased due to aftermarket options, you would have to weigh the additional cost against the risk of not getting coverage for those options if you total the car (for example).
I think it must be different in the UK. I'm pretty sure in the UK that you're supposed to inform them of any modifications that alter the car's performance. If you crash the car and they find out it's been modified without their knowledge then they can withhold the insurance money.

Upvote 0