TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car Insurance by Tesla

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by backmost, Aug 29, 2019.

1. backmost

backmost Member

Tesla Insurance | Tesla

Anyone in CA take a look at this?

I pay about $2000 a year for my Roadster with Progressive in New York.

2. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

I'm at about $1000 with USAA in Texas.

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

$1,200 with Kemper in California.

As for Tesla's insurance, logging in I get this. Where do they think I am?

Coming Soon
    Tesla Insurance is now available in California. We’ll notify you when it is available in your area.

4. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

When I checked a couple days ago, I got a basic page with a notice saying they were "reworking their algorithms" :confused: Now I get the same msg as @gregd.

Reading through some of the other threads like this one, it seems the pricing is all over the place. Some are seeing lower quotes, others much higher, and others the same but with more milage.

5. BOBTHEJOCKEY

BOBTHEJOCKEY Banned

My guess is that people would rather buy their car insurance from the same people they bought their car from as long as they don't have to pay more. Is this true? Tesla says that you could save up to 30% which would of course be even better. For Tesla bulls I believe this is a whole new revenue stream for Tesla with positive implications for the stock. I haven't yet read any of the posts above. I was going to start a new post but I thought I would just stick it in here partly because I can't find the new post place to click.....lol.

6. rudholm

rudholm Member

I think they're not offering insurance for Roadsters (I know, big surprise, right?).

When I checked it out yesterday, the car info page was pre-filled with my Model 3 details and there was no option to select or enter info for another car.

I pay State Farm about 87$/month to insure the 3. Tesla Insurance was 170$/month for the same coverage, so I wasn't exactly disappointed that insuring the Roadster was not an option.

7. gregd

gregd Active Member

The other factor they don't seem to be taking into account is that everybody (else) gives a discount when you insure multiple things - car, house, etc. Piecemeal it out, and you end up paying more.

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

My insurance company will cancel my policy if I don't insure every car in the household with them. Not every car we own is a Tesla so it's not an option.

9. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

They are approx 20% higher than what I currently pay from Wawanesa which I believe is a California Insurer only. So much for lowering my premium... no accidents or tickets either!

10. GaboPaz

GaboPaz Member

I just got a quote from Tesla and I’ll be saving $38 per month for the same coverage. I am currently paying $200 per month with Wawanesa. Tesla’s quote came in at $162 per month. If I opt for a $1,000 deductible, my monthly rate will go down to $150 per month.

Anything I should know before making the switch?

Thanks,

Gabriel

11. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Got my full coverage in LA at 811 vs 1480 with Progressive... same coverage.

12. da2ny

da2ny 2010 Roadster Sport Twilight Blue #913

Tesla:
    $863.30 /mo!!!???
    Geico: $225/month

13. rudholm

rudholm Member

What cars are you guys getting quotes for? Tesla doesn't insure Roadsters.