Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Insurance, Model X, Southern California, Mercury, Wawanesa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Does anyone have advice on the lowest cost insurance for Model X in Southern California?

I received drastically different insurance quotes for my 2016 Tesla Model X 90D with 95k mi.
Mercury: $1400 for 6mo with standard options like $500 deductible, 12k mi per year and standard coverages.
Wawanesa: $478 per 6mo with same options

Anyone paying less than $478 per 6mo? With who?

Hello,
Does anyone have advice on the lowest cost insurance for Model X in Southern California?

I received drastically different insurance quotes for my 2016 Tesla Model X 90D with 95k mi.
Mercury: $1400 for 6mo with standard options like $500 deductible, 12k mi per year and standard coverages.
Wawanesa: $478 per 6mo with same options

Anyone paying less than $478 per 6mo? With who?
My 2017 Tesla Model X 100 is with Wawanesa for $537.06 / 6 months but with high coverage:

Bodily Injury $250,000 / $500,000
Property: $100,000

What is "Tesla Insurance"? You have to go to a tesla service center in SoCal to apply? I'm not aware of that option -

BTW after reading this Forum and seeing Progressive was often lowest cost, I checked Progressive vs Wawanesa with same amounts:
2016 Tesla Model X
Tesla: $426/6mo ($71/mo) PROGRESSIVE LOWER THAN WAWANESA by $54/6mo ($9/mo)

If only there was a way to search the web! lol... Tesla insurance has been around for 3/4 years in CA. Another company underwrites their policies, but they have been the least expensive by far, at least for me.

And no, you dont need to go to the service center haha. Im assuming you have the Tesla app on your phone?

Im surprised your insurance quotes are so low. Are you getting the bare minimum full coverage? I wouldn't recommend that here in the OC

Last edited:
I got a quote from Tesla insurance, you can't actually buy it online. You simply use the app, smart! Its a cool feature to have the ability to add insurance via the App without the headache of going to a traditional company that asks a million questions. However, their rate was 2x Wawanesa and Progressive, so it's appeal is limited to those who seek convenience. I'm too thrifty to use it.

I got a quote from Tesla insurance, you can't actually buy it online. You simply use the app, smart! Its a cool feature to have the ability to add insurance via the App without the headache of going to a traditional company that asks a million questions. However, their rate was 2x Wawanesa and Progressive, so it's appeal is limited to those who seek convenience. I'm too thrifty to use it.
That's really odd. Tesla insurance came out to beat all other carrier rates, it wasn't about convenience really. It was consistently 20-30% cheaper than all other quotes i received.. Ive had them going on 4 years and shopped for quotes again back in Feb. and they were still the cheapest. Maybe the coverage was different than the other quotes?

I haven't tried Wawanesa