TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car insurance

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ferrett, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
    I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
    are you using? Any good deals out there? Suggestions?

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

USAA, about $800/6 months additional over my Prius v. I felt that was pretty reasonable.

3. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

$800/6mths additional? What's the total price?

4. Redshift

Redshift Member

Clean driving record, multiple vehicles, quoted $2k/six months by Allstate for the Tesla portion; quoted $2300/ year by AAA.

5. pvogel

pvogel Member

$950/6 months, but I was paying slightly over $500/6 months. After the update I'm paying $450 more but the allocation is heavily weighted to the X. I'll be selling the Prius v soon so that will drop me down to about $800.

• Dislike x 1
  6. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Does the final configured price of the X play a role into your quoted price? Say a $105k 90D vs a $135k P90D?
    Haven't reached out to triple A for our quote but sure hope it's not $2300/year. That's Ludicrous.

7. DarrinR

DarrinR Member

Allstate is charging me $1680 for 6 months

8. socaljohn

socaljohn New Member

Farmers $850 every 6 months, 100/300 coverage. Glass coverage, we pay $100 for any glass breakage, they pay the rest. Important to have on the X and on my Mercedes Sprinter, 2 big windshields,

9. Redshift

Redshift Member

Yeah, it is. P90DL with all the bells and whistles except fancy wheels. The coverage is 300/500.

10. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

With so many variables -- location, driving record, age, insurance "bundles"... it is difficult to compare insurance rates. So I called my company at Hartford, and requested the difference between my Audi Q7 (sold) and gave them the VIN on my Model X (May delivery). They ran the numbers using the same coverage levels as the Audi -- the difference in the premium was $60 bucks a YEAR. Hooo Ray! I was paying $715 a year on the Audi and will be paying $775 a YEAR with the AARP discounts on the Model X. Great, considering the Audi was a 2007. I guess being a SR Citizen helps!

11. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

I was quoted originally $1200 by Pure. Then I asked what the replacement value was and my agent told me he looked it up online and put it at 80k. Once I told him the car was 150k, the annual premium went up to $2300. So, depends on type of policy. Mine has a negotiated replacement value instead of market value. So, I raised my deductible to $2500 and my annual premium dropped to $1250. He said the car is so expensive, and damage will probably be in the tens of thousands anyway.

12. Rdainer

Rdainer Member

800/6 mths GEICO for 90d and 50/500 deductible

13. ahmarm

ahmarm Member

its coming out to be $928/6 months additional to add the X as the third car for me with AllState. thats with all the discounts and clean driving record. $250 deductible and 100/300/100 policy. Progressive was quoting $840, and I didnt want to switch insurance companies for less than $100 difference.

14. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

I'm curious. Can you find out what the replacement value is?

15. ahmarm

ahmarm Member

I am going with the "dreaded" lease (yes, I have read most of the debate on this topic in this forum :)), hence I didn't check on the replacement value yet, but will inquire for sure. Allstate usually are pretty good with replacing relatively new car, in case of a total loss.

16. itay

itay Member

A lot of people talk about adding "whole car replacement" to their insurance, but I've not really seen any companies that offer this option - the only one I know of is Liberty Mutual (with their "new car replacement" policy). What companies are people using where they see this option?

17. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

Amica $1650 for the year. 100/300 coverage. 250/1000 comprehensive/collision deductible. Clean record. Have homeowners with them too.

• Helpful x 1
  18. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

With Liberty Mutual, we currently have a 2014 Honda Odyssey. Replacing the Odyssey with the X 90D will cost $16/month more (for same coverage), which is a GREAT deal in my opinion.

So the annual cost is now $629/year with Odyssey and $829/year with X.

19. Rdainer

Rdainer Member

@vrykolas per year? wow, thats the best deal going.

20. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

@Rdainer: yes, per year. Perfect driving record for both wife and I. No kids on coverage (yet). We live out in the suburbs of north dallas. Local law enforcement/city like to tout that we have "top 10" lowest crime rate in the country. Maybe that makes a difference? Who knows, those insurance calculations are horribly complex.

• Love x 1