Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
are you using? Any good deals out there? Suggestions?

With so many variables -- location, driving record, age, insurance "bundles"... it is difficult to compare insurance rates. So I called my company at Hartford, and requested the difference between my Audi Q7 (sold) and gave them the VIN on my Model X (May delivery). They ran the numbers using the same coverage levels as the Audi -- the difference in the premium was $60 bucks a YEAR. Hooo Ray! I was paying $715 a year on the Audi and will be paying $775 a YEAR with the AARP discounts on the Model X. Great, considering the Audi was a 2007. I guess being a SR Citizen helps!

I was quoted originally $1200 by Pure. Then I asked what the replacement value was and my agent told me he looked it up online and put it at 80k. Once I told him the car was 150k, the annual premium went up to $2300. So, depends on type of policy. Mine has a negotiated replacement value instead of market value. So, I raised my deductible to $2500 and my annual premium dropped to $1250. He said the car is so expensive, and damage will probably be in the tens of thousands anyway.

its coming out to be $928/6 months additional to add the X as the third car for me with AllState. thats with all the discounts and clean driving record. $250 deductible and 100/300/100 policy. Progressive was quoting $840, and I didnt want to switch insurance companies for less than $100 difference.

A lot of people talk about adding "whole car replacement" to their insurance, but I've not really seen any companies that offer this option - the only one I know of is Liberty Mutual (with their "new car replacement" policy). What companies are people using where they see this option?

With Liberty Mutual, we currently have a 2014 Honda Odyssey. Replacing the Odyssey with the X 90D will cost $16/month more (for same coverage), which is a GREAT deal in my opinion.

So the annual cost is now $629/year with Odyssey and $829/year with X.

@Rdainer: yes, per year. Perfect driving record for both wife and I. No kids on coverage (yet). We live out in the suburbs of north dallas. Local law enforcement/city like to tout that we have "top 10" lowest crime rate in the country. Maybe that makes a difference? Who knows, those insurance calculations are horribly complex.

• Love
Reactions: Rdainer