TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ferrett, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my new Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
    I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
    are you using? Any good deals out there? Suggestions?

2. brkaus

brkaus Member

State Farm just quoted me $120 per month over a 2004 BMW 330ci

3. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Try the smaller companies that don't have much experience with many Teslas. That's the best deal. Some of the bigger players now consider Tesla an "Exotic" because of Tesla's policies that are making the cars expensive to repair after even minor accidents.

4. acuma50

acuma50 New Member

That sounds high but I'm on the east coast so I'm not sure if this is a good comparison. GEICO in NJ quoted me $650 for 6 months for comprehensive and collision. The exact model (70D, 90D,P90D,etc.) didn't seem to matter, which I thought was surprising given the significant difference in cost between a 70D and P90D. I can reduce it another $70 by completing a defensive driving course. For a reference point, it's 3 times more expensive than the same coverage for my 2015 BMW that costs about 60% as much as my Tesla. There's the typical Tesla mark up that I'm sure you've noticed at every step of ownership. I call it the "Tesla tax".

5. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Ameriprise (from Costco's home page)...

2011 LEAF, 2000 Honda Odyssey Van, and 2013 Model P85. $650 every six months. Without the Tesla, $287 every six months, so the Tesla runs about $363 every six months. Full coverage...

6. dlv1984

dlv1984 Amp'd

I got a Geico quote for $445 for 6 months and AAA quoted me $620 for 6 months. I also spoke with Farmer's and Progressive but both of them were about $1000/6mo.

7. JeffS

JeffS Member

My main carrier for home, auto, umbrella, boats, etc., didn't want to insure my Tesla. They indicated this by quoting $3000 a year. They don't think anyone is stupid enough to pay that - it's just their way of saying no thank you. I moved my boats and my Tesla to Geico.

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

car insurance is a very personal and unique to you product. there are many factors beyond the car and your driving record involved in the equation. where you live, your age, your financial history, your commute distances all come into play. so while asking and getting a range of what others pay can give you an idea of what rates are you may be unable to match some of the lowest rates that people will post.

• Like x 3
  9. srthomas21

srthomas21 Member

State Farm quoted me $1200 per year. Not sure why your's is higher. Do you have Performance model?

10. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

We did Geico for the Tesla. We shopped around and they were the best.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yep, and more: you can keep the car, owner, and insurance the same, and find huge price differences in different locales that have similar demographics. I gather this happens because insurance is computed across regions for each issuer. If they have a bad year in a region, they decide arbitrarily who to tap to get the profits up again.

So the short answer is call lots of companies, or perhaps try a broker. But do not expect any kind of consistency.

12. dabbler

dabbler Member

I spent the greater part of a week getting quotes from several insurance companies. My broker was able to lock in a quote from Progressive and the final cost was $100 more per year for the Model S than my current annual premium. My former carrier's quote was double my current premium. They should have just said that they were not interested. They ended up loosing all of my business over one car change.
    I suspect that I will be shopping for insurance in the near future as the insurance industry becomes educated as to the costs of repairs for the Model S and starts to pass that cost on to the customer in the form of higher premiums.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I would not be so quick to accept the notion that insurance should be expensive for a Tesla.
    While (I gather it's) true that car repairs are much more expensive, the weight of insurance costs is due to repair of the humans involved, and that is very much a reflection of car safety engineering and driver behavior.

If people are getting into accidents while playing with ludicrous mode e.g., *that* will lead to rates skyrocketing.

14. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

The fact is the Tesla certified body shops have a monopoly, and the parts cannot be bought by mortals. This means that ALL insurance companies' rates are going up, right now, and will continue to go up.

15. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I started with Allstate since I've been with them for years with my other vehicles. But after Progressive quoted about a third the cost of Allstate for the same coverage except a few hundred dollar higher deductible I switched the S's coverage to them.

16. coreconcept

coreconcept Member

I have been with Progressive since 2004. I got my Tesla 85D late December 2015. My first full 6 months has cost $400. Paying all at once saved me $75 or so. I didn't shop around as I think this is a good deal.

17. dbullard

dbullard Member

Check with your local Tesla-approved body shop - ask them which insurance companies are good about paying. I dropped State Farm when they tried nickel-and-diming on my claim - paying 1/4 what it cost to fix it after deductable - had to take them to arbitration (won), then dropped them. Not the first time they've done that to me (in two states), so it's not just a local thing.

Body shop said this happens all the time with certain companies, they'll be able to tell you which.

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'm using Allied through my broker. about 1,350/yr. Full coverage. Happy to connect you if you would like.

19. Jeremy Aber

Jeremy Aber Member

I used to use GEICO, but they just took my rate up a lot. I shopped around and saved a bunch with Progressive. I am in FL, so it may be FL thing.

20. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I just ran a quote through my insurance company (MAPFRE) and they informed my agent that starting in May the company is going to cancel all policies on Tesla vehicles. He said that other insurance companies that he sells are doing the same thing and it is resulting in a major increase in insurance costs by the carries that will still write for the car.