Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is amazing, and the ubiquitary quirk or two

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fraank

Jul 21, 2019
UK
Picked up my MSM LR AWD from birm today. Went largely without hitch, other than a cancelled train and panicked "they're going to give my car to someone else" moment. And a "hmm, I can't find you car" computer mishap ("oh sh*t" moment).

The car is so smooth and comfortable, and it handles like a flippin' go kart! Amazing. I test drove a performance so I was a bit worried it would feel slow (which is hilarious, as it's much faster of course than my current car - golf gtd).

I didn't need to worry. I actually wondered if I had the wrong software as it felt SO punchy and quick in town. I really only noticed the difference from standstill. A back to back would obviously re-highlight the hilarity of the P's acceleration, but we were still giggling like school kids in the LR.

A few other observations:
-My car didn't show in my app until an hour later, just have to keep trying.
-If you test fart mode, that's probably when the staff member will be appearing to show you the autopilot.
-If you enable fart on demand, and later, said member of staff asks you to reboot the car to fix the app, the car WILL fart before rebooting
-Car is a little noisy over 70mph, but sound drops right off below that.
-Paint and alignment looked perfect to me
-The valet was poor, especially inside of windows, the sun showed up a lot of badly cleaned windows (on the inside!) No biggy, but would be nice if they had a better process.
-my nearly 3 year old thinks it's the most amazing farting mobile drawing pad she's ever had.

Now the "quirks" (problems):
-high pitch whistle above 30mph. I can't figure out if it's wind or motor or something else, but it's very high pitch and intrusive. Definitely not right.
-rear passenger door glass doesn't stay dropped all the time when closing the door. In fact once home we closed the door and the glass popped up OUTSIDE the chrome, and scratched it in multiple places!! Bit worried about it breaking the glass if it does it again with a more forceful close.

Anyone seen these issues? How do I get a ranger? I went to enter them in the app and it just offered me 3rd October in Bristol SC!! 70miles and 3 weeks away! Little concerned about that.

Good stuff - Car sounds lovely :)

As for the snag list, my 2 cents:

high pitch whistle above 30mph. I can't figure out if it's wind or motor or something else

Wonder if one of the aftermarket roof inserts would help identify the culprit if it's a roof seal issue, random example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Windshield-Dampening-Reduction-Generation/dp/B07S3554TW/
Worth a shot?

we closed the door and the glass popped up OUTSIDE the chrome

Good grief... Tesla!!! :eek:

Picked up my MSM LR AWD from birm today. Went largely without hitch, other than a cancelled train and panicked "they're going to give my car to someone else" moment. And a "hmm, I can't find you car" computer mishap ("oh sh*t" moment).

The car is so smooth and comfortable, and it handles like a flippin' go kart! Amazing. I test drove a performance so I was a bit worried it would feel slow (which is hilarious, as it's much faster of course than my current car - golf gtd).

I didn't need to worry. I actually wondered if I had the wrong software as it felt SO punchy and quick in town. I really only noticed the difference from standstill. A back to back would obviously re-highlight the hilarity of the P's acceleration, but we were still giggling like school kids in the LR.

A few other observations:
-My car didn't show in my app until an hour later, just have to keep trying.
-If you test fart mode, that's probably when the staff member will be appearing to show you the autopilot.
-If you enable fart on demand, and later, said member of staff asks you to reboot the car to fix the app, the car WILL fart before rebooting
-Car is a little noisy over 70mph, but sound drops right off below that.
-Paint and alignment looked perfect to me
-The valet was poor, especially inside of windows, the sun showed up a lot of badly cleaned windows (on the inside!) No biggy, but would be nice if they had a better process.
-my nearly 3 year old thinks it's the most amazing farting mobile drawing pad she's ever had.

-high pitch whistle above 30mph. I can't figure out if it's wind or motor or something else, but it's very high pitch and intrusive. Definitely not right.
-rear passenger door glass doesn't stay dropped all the time when closing the door. In fact once home we closed the door and the glass popped up OUTSIDE the chrome, and scratched it in multiple places!! Bit worried about it breaking the glass if it does it again with a more forceful close.

Anyone seen these issues? How do I get a ranger? I went to enter them in the app and it just offered me 3rd October in Bristol SC!! 70miles and 3 weeks away! Little concerned about that.
High pitch whistle sounds like another thread I read here somewhere ages ago about a window rubber gasket not installed correctly? Someone here may know more? Might be wrong. I definitely don't get that kind of noise over 30.

Window glass problem not sure? Can confirm mine see ok and not had that problem? Again someone else may know more?

Yep about SC bookings it takes weeks to see them, mine was 3 weeks! Ranger I think is done on what type of issue you have. Also you should get a phone call or email soon from someone about it.

Ps keep that contact email as they become your life line for all other queries, as I have used my new Tesla contact for a few things now and you get almost instant response and help (keep that tip to yourself!) - did I say that bit too loud? ;)

Congrats on your M3 LR :) , the door alignment and panel gaps are most likely to be the issue for the Windscreen and rear door. Get the SC to look at it asap , Was your collection at Heathrow ?

How was the quality of paint ? What colour did you get

Worth the wait?

I am having reservations about the purchase now... mainly because it’s £6k down and I’m wondering when you compare to the other cars on the market is it worth it.
For me, definitely. You may or may not get an issue or 2, and hopefully nothing too serious (those seem quite rare), but you get to be part of something very special. The car is outstanding.

If these issues end up plaguing me for 6 months I may feel differently! I see these issues in the same vein as my dad telling me about his triumph back in the day, and how it was amazing "but remember how it did that weird thing..."

Good stuff - Car sounds lovely :)
Good grief... Tesla!!! :eek:
Ha ha, indeed!
Ps keep that contact email as they become your life line for all other queries, as I have used my new Tesla contact for a few things now and you get almost instant response and help (keep that tip to yourself!) - did I say that bit too loud? ;)
Cheers David, I'll keep that to myself...
Could be the windshield. If they left a gap in the glue when they fixed it it could be air coming through it.

Pretty common for a badly fitted windshield. Get a service enter appointment and they will probably replace it.
Sounds quite likely, maybe the car will be a little quieter in general if that's the issue.

Congrats on your M3 LR :) , the door alignment and panel gaps are most likely to be the issue for the Windscreen and rear door. Get the SC to look at it asap , Was your collection at Heathrow ?

How was the quality of paint ? What colour did you get
Thanks, hopefully simple to solve. Birmingham, and MSM - paint looked perfect to me, and marks came off with a fingernail. One tiny spot on front bumper edge - spot of dust in paint or similar, not a bother to me. I'll get it detailed soon and see what they find.

Thanks for advice everyone. Booked for Oct 9th (3rd had already disappeared :rolleyes:)

Will play with door tomorrow and see how repeatable it is. Will have to put child seat on other side if it's really bad.

Nearly 4 week wait to be seen for brand new car is... not great. Will see what they say when they get in touch.

Reactions: Roy W.
This may reassure you. I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks. I wasn’t happy with the alignment of the boot. 6.5 mm gap on one side, 2mm on the other. I checked it in to Bristol SC for a check. They agreed the problem, took the car in for repair, gave me an S for a couple of days while work was done, cleaned the car, topped up the battery and sent me on my way.
They did tell me that most of their staff were being sent to West Drayton to help out and so things might be slow at Bristol for a bit.
While they had the car I got a text saying that the body shop had just started work realigning my boot. I opened the app to locate the body shop (east Bristol) to see the boot opening and closing on the image on my phone!
The car is great and much nicer than the S.
PS. If you make your own coffee at Bristol don’t forget to put a coffee capsule in the machine!

I had a two week wait and a 40 mile drive to get a non-functional brake light unit replaced. Not ideal but once there the process was slick enough.

And agree re wind noise at 70mph plus. I've taken collection of some window seals and door rubbers, so am hoping they'll help a little.

This may reassure you.
That's good to know, thank you. Hopefully situation soon improves again in Bristol then. That's funny about the boot, you could have given them a few honks of the horn to say a little hello...
I had a two week wait and a 40 mile drive to get a non-functional brake light unit replaced. Not ideal but once there the process was slick enough.

And agree re wind noise at 70mph plus. I've taken collection of some window seals and door rubbers, so am hoping they'll help a little.
Really interested to hear your thoughts on the seals. Reviews are generally very positive, but then the odd few saying it made no difference!

Ha ha, indeed!

Cheers David, I'll keep that to myself...

Sounds quite likely, maybe the car will be a little quieter in general if that's the issue.

Thanks, hopefully simple to solve. Birmingham, and MSM - paint looked perfect to me, and marks came off with a fingernail. One tiny spot on front bumper edge - spot of dust in paint or similar, not a bother to me. I'll get it detailed soon and see what they find.

Thanks for advice everyone. Booked for Oct 9th (3rd had already disappeared :rolleyes:)

Will play with door tomorrow and see how repeatable it is. Will have to put child seat on other side if it's really bad.

Nearly 4 week wait to be seen for brand new car is... not great. Will see what they say when they get in touch.
if it looked perfectr but you had to flick the paint to clean some dirt would you recommend I take some quick detailer withme for if I see anything like that when I go to collect mine? at least I can sort myself mentaly to say it was just dirt not bad paint?

if it looked perfectr but you had to flick the paint to clean some dirt would you recommend I take some quick detailer withme for if I see anything like that when I go to collect mine? at least I can sort myself mentaly to say it was just dirt not bad paint?
I personnally wouldn't go as far as that, no car paint is perfect, I just wanted to find anything severe.

Quirk no. 3.
Had the low brake fluid warning appear today after 200 miles. They can't expect me to wait 4 weeks for that?

More on my mind is that some **** egged my car last night, leaving a lot of scratches on the rear passenger door. Sentry mode wasn't on, but they did it from opposite pavement so I doubt it would have caught them. Not a random act, so pretty sucky to see in my quiet Welsh village.

Fraank, sorry to read your post.
It does lead me to the question, “what is sentry mode ?”
I suppose for it to work the low-life thugs would need to know about it (and if people like me are unaware, that’s says it all?)
Thank you. Well, after last night I wish sentry mode was a military grade laser defense system. But it's just a system that records from all cameras when it detects someone close to the car. Needs a USB memory stick/drive to save to.

Impact left a ton of scratches, hopefully it's just the clearcoat.

MVIMG_20190914_122434.jpg

Are the glass roof panels sitting flush?

My two big concerns for us are:
  • Front and rear glass panels not flush resulting in intrusive wind noise/whistle
  • Jacking points damaged

Sorry to hear about the 'egging' - I assume its an egg thrown at the car. Any obvious reason? Any new car, anti electric, anti something else - sounds like you may have been singled out?

Quirk no. 3.
Had the low brake fluid warning appear today after 200 miles. They can't expect me to wait 4 weeks for that?

More on my mind is that some **** egged my car last night, leaving a lot of scratches on the rear passenger door. Sentry mode wasn't on, but they did it from opposite pavement so I doubt it would have caught them. Not a random act, so pretty sucky to see in my quiet Welsh village.
If it's quite go asking everyone. Guilt will be clear on the face of anyonr

Quirk no. 3.

There really are some proper a**holes in this world aren't there. I can't even comprehend why some one would do that. Just morons! Hope it all get cleaned up ok Fraank