Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is coming - what to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My Model 3 is going to be delivered next week, really excited! AWD LR Silver/White.

I already have the charging adapters from Tesla, and am looking for advice on other things to get for the car.

I'm thinking of:

- All weather mats (interior .... is it worth getting for the trunk/frunk? What brand is good?)

- Blue LED lights (Abstract Ocean looks good)

- Puddle lights with Tesla logo

- Center console organizer

- Touchscreen protector (worth it? Is there glare normally?)

- Windshield sunshade

- Roof sunshade (needed? I live in Jersey)

- Tinting the windows

Any advice (or points to other posts) would be appreciated!

Thanks

Given the large amount of glass, I definitely recommend the windshield sunshade and getting the windows tinted with ceramic tint. You may or may not need the roof shade, especially if you get every window tinted.

Also, get ready to apply some sort of paint protection. This can be anything from an $8 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine to spending $6K on PPF and a ceramic coating. Which option you go for depends on your budget and preferences.

Reactions: TBrownTX
New Jersey does not get as intense sunlight as the South does. In the decades I lived there, a sunshade was occasionally helpful. I did not want or need tinted Windows.

PPF is just sweet tho.

A touch screen protector is helpful. On my M3, I did not get it soon enough. When wiping the screen, I must have had a bit of sand on the microfiber towel. I got large swirls and added a screen protector. The MY started with a screen protector.
Matte is the most popular.

I retired to a lake cottage. Much less traffic here.

Last edited:
Floor mats and a screen protector, yes. Where I live a partial ppf is essential, might be optional for you. The rest are just personal preference.

Instead, I suggest investing time in learning what the charging options are, getting a membership or two at charging providers, for example for L2 charging in the areas you typically go to. Understanding how to plan for trips etc (ABetterRoutePlanner etc). These will highly reduce the anxiety of the first months of ownership.

I am thinking of switching out my protector for the matte version in order to reduce glare. Do you notice any reduction in clarity or resolution with the matte protector? Those are my only concerns.
If you get a quality screen protector, there is a VERY small reduction in brightness as slightly less light is making its way through the protector. But it's super small and you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

I feel the reduced glare the look of matte far outweighs the small loss of brightness. Plus, matte feels better to me. :)

Reactions: joebruin77
I am thinking of switching out my protector for the matte version in order to reduce glare. Do you notice any reduction in clarity or resolution with the matte protector? Those are my only concerns.
Hi All,

My Model 3 is going to be delivered next week, really excited! AWD LR Silver/White.

I already have the charging adapters from Tesla, and am looking for advice on other things to get for the car.

I'm thinking of:

- All weather mats (interior .... is it worth getting for the trunk/frunk? What brand is good?)

- Blue LED lights (Abstract Ocean looks good)

- Puddle lights with Tesla logo

- Center console organizer

- Touchscreen protector (worth it? Is there glare normally?)

- Windshield sunshade

- Roof sunshade (needed? I live in Jersey)

- Tinting the windows

Any advice (or points to other posts) would be appreciated!

Thanks
-I love the look of the blue LEDs (but I'm biased)
-Puddle lights are great and the best upgrade you can get, imo. Whether you buy them from us or elsewhere, make sure not to buy cheap ones from Amazon as they have a high fail rate.
-Console organizer is a must and should come standard
-A replacement screen is $1300, so yes, a screen protector is worth it. One wrong swipe with a wedding ring etc and it's an expensive fix. Again, I'd stay away from the cheap ones on Amazon as they often bubble, have ghost touches and can leave residue behind when removing.
-I live in Vegas and use a windshield shade. Also, I have the roof shade from Tesla which I roll out in the summer.
-Roof shade, see above. :)
-Tinting the windows is a must in Vegas. Plus, it just looks cool.

I'd recommend the following:
-SSD for Sentry Videos
-Trunk lights as the OEM lights are super dim
-Under armrest storage compartment

Congrats and enjoy the 3!

i have a matte one from abstract ocean, there is a noticeable loss of clarity but it's so much easier to run my fingers against the screen, i can live with it.

getting my AWD performance stealth tomorrow

got a Taptes hub and wireless phone charger
SSD Drive for teslacam, media and boombox
used carpet set from my Son, seat massager add on
On order alcantara dash panel, screen rotational adapter from RPM. will let them install later
Nikola satin black trim kit
Homelink and key fob from tesla
matte screen protector from amazon
AC condenser cleaner and new filter. magnetic filter cover for future changes
Future 3m Crystaline window tint and Orbital hub cap replacements
various smaller add ons including Red led lights for the interior and console and dash
blacked out Dual Motor badge for rear
thats to start