TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

car is going on display -- can it stay powered on?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rekoh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

I will have my car on display for a couple of hours, and was hoping there is a way to keep the lights on, and the screens lit up while keeping the doors locked. Any ideas on how to do this??

2. cfOH

cfOH Member

Do you object to sitting in it the entire time?

3. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

I thought you have to place a heavy object on the seat.

4. martinve

martinve Active Member

Do the wifes object to sitting in it the entire time?

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

Put the car in neutral with the parking break on.

I regularly leave my car like that when hopping out in order to leave the A/C on for my wife and dogs. My wife then proceeds to lock the car from the inside, but I'm sure a keyfob lock will do the same. The lights will stay on unless you explicitly turn it off.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I think it will go off after a protracted time (one hour?) One owner was trying to sleep in the car and it would shut off.

7. olanmills

olanmills Member

Maybe put it in N with blocks on the wheels for safety?

My car is not nearby to test, but I think I've done this before. Get in the car and put your foot on the brake, then get out and leave the door open. Open the passenger door and close the driver side door. From the passenger seat, use the Controls window to set the lighting the way you want. Now get out and close the passenger door. I think the lights will stay on, but I'm not sure.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yup, me. Every 10-15 minute it kept shutting off even with me in the seat in my "Nap" driver profile.

9. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

When I show it, I just leave the door open. Its in park. I invite people to have a seat and play with the screen anyway. After a while the screen goes off, seems like its longer than 15 mins but anyway I just reach in and touch the screen to bring it back. I kill the climate just to save battery. Off to shows tomorrow.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I also do this. In addition, I'll have my UMC plugged in.
    This shows people how that works and won't let the car be shifted out of park.

11. Liz G

Liz G P03056

When we show it we just close the door enough to hear it click, so it will stay shut, but not enough to actually get it truly shut.

12. rekoh

rekoh Member

The car will be roped off, and i wont be by it.. but i would like to have the daytime running lights on, and the screens, etc. I would prefer not to have the door ajar, even if only slightly. I could do the neutral trick, and block the wheels, but if it will power off after 15 minutes, that wont work either..... hmm. ...