TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car is sleeping during the day today? Visible Tesla and Phone App won't connect?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Ed Chan, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

Anyone else seeing this strange behavior today? My car is falling asleep during the day and my mobile app and VT won't connect... Wonder what Tesla is doing? Anyways, even if I wasn't running VT, my car should be awake during the day right?

[edit]

OK, went back and checked, and Energy Savings was on, so I turned it off so my car stays awake during the day... But still not connecting through app or VT.....

2. richrootes

richrootes Member

Yes, couldn't connect to my car all morning - even after a reboot. Went out for a drive at lunchtime, and after playing Slacker (TuneIn wouldn't connect), it came back online

Thought it was just me, so I didn't bother starting a thread.....

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW I had a 2 hour period from about 0700 to 0900 Pacific time with lack of connectivity (and my service rep could not connect at all). He had me reboot MCU a couple of times. I had 3G signal, but no connection to the iPhone app or VT. It began to work at about 0930-1000 Pacific. My bet is on a TM server issue.

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Same here, Android App would not connect. Gave message "Waking up car". Now it's connecting again. Sure looked like a server issue.

5. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

Yup, thanks for the feedback... My car's back online now too, and VT 0.28.01 still works (thankfully!). Per VT, I lost my connection just before 9:30am PDT... and I came back around 2:30pm PDT.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've noticed this off and on over the past two years. I think it must be Tesla's servers going down or something. It's annoying in the winter when I'm trying to connect to pre-heat the car, but thankfully doesn't happen that often. First World problems for sure!

7. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

This has been happening to me a lot lately. Seems like every day. I've rebooted screens and 'forgot' my home network, then reconnected.... no change. Almost certain it's a Tesla server issue.

8. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Today it would only connect if using 3G. Via WiFi no dice but all other internet functions work.

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

I couldn't connect at 7am EDT when I was trying to preheat my car this morning.

10. Knobby

Knobby Member

Ok here's what I'm seeing: No connect from the phone app since middle of last week. If I reboot the center screen then it all works well....for a few hours. Then back to the spinning circle and eventual timeout with message "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not Be Made". Doesn't matter which energy savings setting is selected. This all just began last week. Was pretty reliable prior to that.

11. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

We should build a wiki or something similar to track when people can't connect... if someone checks the thread and there are a dozen other people reporting problems we'll know it's a system wide (or at least widespread) thing... does the TMC forums have something that can easily track reported issues v. time/date?

12. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

13. Knobby

Knobby Member

It's not. This is strictly about accessing the car through the phone app. The car otherwise responds normally.

There is a another problem some people including I have (and others insist they don't have) that is related to Energy Saving. It is to do with re-establishing 3G after sleep taking up to 1/2 hour, and seemingly unique to Canada perhaps related to roaming. It may or may not be related to the phone app problem, but the delay to establish 3G connection has been going on since before 6.0 - at least 6 months now. This phone app thing just started last week.

14. scottm

scottm Active Member

I can confirm 3G takes forever to re-establish after car has slept, in Canada.

No slacker no nav maps for whole drives to work is not a good experience.

Same thing happens after a console reboot.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sorry if I missed the distinction, but is this something that only happens in Canada? I also notice the very long wait time before getting the 3G icon. If so, perhaps it's because it has to negotiate the proxy connection back to ATT (?) in the US.

16. scottm

scottm Active Member

But really, network speed and negotiations etc... are all being handled by very fast computers these days.

No network setup should take more than a couple seconds.

It's comical but not funny:

It's as if there's a guy sitting in Tesla office with a work queue, each time a Canadian car reboots or re-establishes a 3G link (the bars are showing in the car but nothing flowing!) it takes several minutes for that person to flip through a card index and telephone the providers and get put on hold in their IVR queue, then finally have a conversation, and say, "it's OK, this account is still active and we're covering it, enable the connection!". "Thanks Bert". "See you Ernie". "Talk to you again soon". Bing! Another person started their Tesla in Canada, hang on I got to get to work again..