TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car jumping into park from reverse?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mdh, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mdh

mdh VIN 2747 P4679

The other day, I was very slowly backing out of my garage and the car jumped into park. This is not the first time this has happened to me... at first I thought I must have hit the shifter... but, this was not the case. I asked the service mgr and he was unaware of any related software problems.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

You might have lifted your weight off the drivers seat sensor. Are you using your backup camera/mirrors or are you turning your head around to see behind?

3. mdh

mdh VIN 2747 P4679

Brilliant... maybe you are right... I did not have my seatbelt on...

4. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

This happened to me once before. My seatbelt was off and I lifted off the seat a little bit. There's a thread on the forum somewhere about it. Some kind of safety feature.

5. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Here's the butt sensor thread. Shifts to Park when Butt Lifted from Seat?

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Same 'safety feature' that allows you to simply get out of the car once positioned in a parking spot. It automatically puts it in park when it senses the driver is no longer there.

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

I had something similar happen, but I see it as a feature not a problem.

In my case I was in my Model S without the seatbeat fastened and with the drivers door open. The car of course nagged me about the seatbelt then I started backing up. After I exceeded a couple of miles per hour the car automatically shifted into park because I was driving without a seatbelt and with the door open.

Larry

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I realize you live in year-round convertible weather but this is ridiculous. You Florida drivers are crazy. ;)

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

For the record I consider the winter as convertible weather. While it is true that many Florida drivers are crazy, or at least not entirely lucid, in the unlikely event that you are serious, I was merely repositioning my car in the driveway, not heading out for a drive. :tongue:

Larry

10. Nrk7001

Nrk7001 Member

+1 me too

11. MattMDK

MattMDK Member

This happened to me today. I was backing into a tight spot, my seatbelt was OFF, I looked back because the camera wasn't giving me a sense of where the pillar was. I must have lifted off the seat. The car automatically went into park. It happened twice in a row and happened a few days ago. My car is less than 2 weeks old so has the latest software.

12. Deodat

Deodat Member

You are right.

13. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Quite common if seat belt not on and/or a door is open. It usually happens at low speeds as well.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's expected behaviour.

15. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

It happened to me a few times early on. Very unsettling. Now I always make sure my seat belt is buckled, even when just repositioning the car. You can lift off the seat to look around if the belt is latched.

16. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Whenever you are in a vehicle that isn't parked!

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Backing through the garage door opening with your rear passenger door open is not advised. It leaves a mark. (Fortunately, I don't have first-hand experience of this).

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Sometimes it leaves a mark on the garage door and not the car. I was once replacing the brake pads in my first car, and when I completed the job I forgot the all-important task of pumping the brakes to extend the piston and pad to the rotor surface. Put the car in reverse while holding the door slightly open and when I put my foot on the brake to stop the car, it went to the floor. Car kept going and the door contacted the 2x8 that framed the garage door. It popped off as the car kept going. No damage at all to the car, I got really lucky that the broad surface of the door was positioned perfectly to pop that frame out.

19. Amped Plants

Amped Plants Member

It's happened to me as well...thought something was wrong with the car until I put my seatbelt on!