Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car keeps charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I plug my Tesla 3 into a Tesla charger at home the car starts to charge. If if stop the charge it will re-start again about 20 minutes later.

No apps are controlling the car and and changed my Tesla password to throw any other apps out Just in case.

Is this what should happen? I thought when I stopped the charge it would stay stopped until I started it again.

What charger do you have? Is there any "smart" functionality on it? Or do you have solar? (oh, just re-read & see you have a Tesla charger)

If the power is interrupted from the charger & then it restarts for any reason, the car may be seeing that as being freshly connected & will automatically start charging again.

When I plug my Tesla 3 into a Tesla charger at home the car starts to charge. If if stop the charge it will re-start again about 20 minutes later.

No apps are controlling the car and and changed my Tesla password to throw any other apps out Just in case.

Is this what should happen? I thought when I stopped the charge it would stay stopped until I started it again.

I have a different charger. I just use the charge limit on the car. As I have a nickel-based battery - it's good to keep it in a 40-80% range (arguments ensue over exact %, but I always want some charge in case of emergencies - suits my needs).

LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) cars are happy to go to 100% and indeed should do so regularly (others know better, please search for threads).

What I usually do is set the max charge to say 80%, plug in and once the car hits this limit, I often dial back the charge limit to 70% so that it doesn't just keep doing tiny charges to keep above 80%. Especially true during low mileage periods.

A couple of months back I had the situation where the car started charging and within moments of stopping the charge in the app, it started up again.

I can't remember what I did to break the cycle, but my recollections at the time was that the app wasn't actually doing what I thought, or the app said it was, ie me stopping the charge in app didn't actually do anything (as my electricity meter was showing high power use) even though app briefly said charge had stopped then I guess refreshed its status which was car still charging. iirc it was around the time of some weird Tesla server behaviour.

tl;dr - if trying to stop charge in app, double check that it had actually stopped rather than believe the app.

my recollections at the time was that the app wasn't actually doing what I thought,

I do this for Solar - O/P might have a similar behaviour manifesting in a different way?

Using the APP:

I set the LIMIT to something (above the current SoC level)
There is some delay, and then APP offers me START CHARGE - which I click

A bit later on I want to stop the charge. Instead of pushing STOP CHARGE I reduce the LIMIT to below SoC (i.e. I don't want anything else to decide that the LIMIT is higher than SoC and thus should start charging).

A bit later on (e.g, sun comes back out) I drag the LIMIT back up again (to above SoC level)

The car will start charging immediately, without me having to press START CHARGE (and if will offer me a STOP CHARGE button)

I am 100% certain that on occasions:

I stop the charge by reducing LIMIT in this way, and ('coz its near end of solar=PV-generation) I won't raise it again.
So it sits overnight with low LIMIT and SoC higher than that
Tomorrow if I drag the LIMIT up it will definitely need me to use START CHARGE ... whereas yesterday that would not have been necessary - i.e. car would have considered it a "continuation" of the earlier charge.

Also, my car is scheduled to start charging at start of Off Peak. If I come home a lot later than that (dunno what the leeway is, but certain a couple of hours) then the car will still charge.

So I reckon there is some wiggle room in all of that.

f if stop the charge it will re-start again ...

How are you stopping the charge - from the APP and using STOP CHARGE? or from the car? or something else?

If I use STOP CHARGE from the APP I'm pretty sure it would do that (and not start, by itself, XX minutes later)

My car is plugged in all the time. Various schedulers Raise / Lower the LIMIT but I've never seen the car react to that (unless it is the scheduled Off Peak charging period), so at those "other times" the APP or Scheduler has to do "START CHARGE" (except the scenario above of Lower/Raise the LIMIT and CHARGING starting automatically if it considers it is a "continuation").

Raise a service request. They will look at it remotely and may be able to give you an indication of why.
Or
set a scheduled start time as a diagnostic tool. If it still starts itself at other times (more than 4 hours after the scheduled time) then it thinks the app told it to. If it fixes the problem then i am with @Kansalis that it is a power interuption making it think it has just been plugged in which could be a charger or car fault.

If you are using a Tesla Wall Charger, make sure you haven’t got randomise start switched on. There is a setting which means the charger will generate a random delay to the start of charging to relieve pressure on the electricity grid.

I can’t remember exactly how this is done but it’s either via ‘schedule’ option in the Tesla App under the Wall Charger page or directly by logging into the Wall Charger itself.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I was about to start a new thread but found this, i'm now suffering from this too and wasn't before about a week ago.
If I set a Tessie schedule to the cheap rate then the car will stop but previously I could start/stop from the Tesla app and now cannot as it keeps starting charge again.
This is very inconvenient to say the least as I could look out of the window and start/stop charge depending on whether it was sunny (still working on the automation piece but given July and a month of no sun, not much rush!).
Oh and I have dumb everything as far as EVSE. Tessie is connected but from this thread, sounds like that's not the case anyway.