TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car keeps unlocking on its own: Did I just find a bug?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 4, 2017.

1. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I was at a friends house tonight and we were in the garage. It was pouring outside. I noticed my car kept unlocking on its own with the door handles coming out. My jacket along with the keys were inside the house.

I brought out my keys and locked the car manually. I laid the keys right in front of me on the table. A few minutes later the car unlocks itself. I start going mad! I open the car and behold it lets me drive!

I figured I must have another set of keys in the car and indeed there was.

Now this has to be some sort of bug. Was the rain setting off the car sensors somehow and making it unlock itself?

Seems pretty dangerous for the car to unlock on its own, even if there is a set of keys inside.

2. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

By set of keys, you mean fob?

With the fob close-by, the car remains unlocked whether handles are extended or not. Handles retract after a while even if fob is inside or nearby but will present if one of them is pushed.

I have noticed that if I am sitting in the car for some time it will present and then retract the handles for no particular reason.

3. tedster82

tedster82 Member

This happened to me as well, but I had the key fob in my bag which was in the trunk. After brought the bag to the front seat, it stopped doing it.

4. ev-now

ev-now Member

Fob needs to be close to the sensor (console) for the MS to 'know' you are in the car. Other locations will cause it to keep thinking you are approaching.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Did someone have the mobile app open on you phone and was having fun with you?

6. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I thought that could be the case so I disabled mobile access. Car was still doing it.
    The keyfob was in the cubby right underneath the screen. Seems like a security flaw to me.

My old benz would never do that.

7. clement812

clement812 New Member

I have same problem , my car are two week old with Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving