Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car keeps unlocking on its own: Did I just find a bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a friends house tonight and we were in the garage. It was pouring outside. I noticed my car kept unlocking on its own with the door handles coming out. My jacket along with the keys were inside the house.

I brought out my keys and locked the car manually. I laid the keys right in front of me on the table. A few minutes later the car unlocks itself. I start going mad! I open the car and behold it lets me drive!

I figured I must have another set of keys in the car and indeed there was.

Now this has to be some sort of bug. Was the rain setting off the car sensors somehow and making it unlock itself?

Seems pretty dangerous for the car to unlock on its own, even if there is a set of keys inside.

I was at a friends house tonight and we were in the garage. It was pouring outside. I noticed my car kept unlocking on its own with the door handles coming out. My jacket along with the keys were inside the house.

I brought out my keys and locked the car manually. I laid the keys right in front of me on the table. A few minutes later the car unlocks itself. I start going mad! I open the car and behold it lets me drive!

I figured I must have another set of keys in the car and indeed there was.

Now this has to be some sort of bug. Was the rain setting off the car sensors somehow and making it unlock itself?

Seems pretty dangerous for the car to unlock on its own, even if there is a set of keys inside.

By set of keys, you mean fob?

With the fob close-by, the car remains unlocked whether handles are extended or not. Handles retract after a while even if fob is inside or nearby but will present if one of them is pushed.

I have noticed that if I am sitting in the car for some time it will present and then retract the handles for no particular reason.