Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car key dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of our card keys no longer works. It won't unlock the car, nor is it sensed at the console.

Apparently my Android phone is logically linked to that card key(??), and now it no longer works either.
My phone key can unlock the car, but the MY won't drive, it insists on pairing my card key first, which fails since the card key is not sensed.

New MY as of 12/2022. Time to go to the SC to reprogram the card key?

Are new cards preset for my car? Or is a visit to an SC required?
Seems to me it should be covered by warranty though.
No, the key card is not activated until you register the key card to your Tesla vehicle. I am not aware of a Tesla warranty for the key card. The Tesla key card is designed to be easily replaced for a modest cost if lost, stolen or run through the wash. (Replacing, programming a lost key fob for other brands of vehicle can cost hundreds of dollars.)

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla - Adding and Removing Keys

Last edited:
Reactions: Undecided_2
Upvote 0
You need a working key to program a new one. Where's the other card that came with your car? You should be able to use that to reprogram your non working card. THEN, once you have a working key card, you can re-add your phone as a key. If you don't have ANY functioning keys, then you probably will have to go to a service center to get a key programmed.

Upvote 0
One of our card keys no longer works. It won't unlock the car, nor is it sensed at the console.

Apparently my Android phone is logically linked to that card key(??), and now it no longer works either.
My phone key can unlock the car, but the MY won't drive, it insists on pairing my card key first, which fails since the card key is not sensed.

Have you tried to use your phone NFC as key card? My Pixel 5 phone works as a key card. I don't mean the bluetooth or app. I tested by putting the phone in airplane mode w/o bluetooth or app open. I could not unlock by proximity, but able to unlock the car when I touched the B pillar; I was able to drive all the way to work. My wife has iPhone 13 and it did NOT work with the same test. Apple maybe restricting NFC access.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Upvote 0

Book appointment with SC. they will take care of it for free Since your car is under warranty. I use my iPhone 13 pro max as the key (works great). the Phone can act as a key even if the key card is not close by. I recently took my 12/2021 build date MYP in for service. I gave them my key card and card wouldn’t unlock the doors or start the car. Only my phone would. They put my car in service mode and entered a code which allowed them to operate the vehicle although my key card wasn’t working. It was unclear if they would reprogram the key card or issue me two new key cards. My car has been in service center for a month due to multiple issues so I have yet to see which route service center went.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you considering the lemon law?
I’m considering it especially if the latest fix/theory doesn’t solve the electrical issue. I also told service center I’m open to buy back, trade/exchange for model 3 long range or model Y long range. My car is a performance Y. I got two managers from service center calling and texting within 60 minutes of sending that message via tesla app to my service representative. The manager of service center assured me they’d get the car working again as electrical issue wasn’t with motors, inverter or high voltage battery, seemed like a minor but hard to pin point issue in their opinion. A few days ago I was told issue was with front left body controller which controls 12Volt power to left (front?) side of vehicle. Replacement part is expected to arrive this week or next. Manager cited Covid & supply chain making repairs take longer than usual etc.
From the very start service center did everything to ease the inconvenience. Offered lots of Uber credit. After 2 weeks offered to get me a loaner Tesla, I finally took them up on the loaner model s.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE
Upvote 0
Book appointment with SC. they will take care of it for free Since your car is under warranty. I use my iPhone 13 pro max as the key (works great). the Phone can act as a key even if the key card is not close by. I recently took my 12/2021 build date MYP in for service. I gave them my key card and card wouldn’t unlock the doors or start the car. Only my phone would. They put my car in service mode and entered a code which allowed them to operate the vehicle although my key card wasn’t working. It was unclear if they would reprogram the key card or issue me two new key cards. My car has been in service center for a month due to multiple issues so I have yet to see which route service center went.
Got my car back. Tesla Service Center reprogrammed my original key card. No need for two new key cards. This was done under warranty. My car was purchased 12/2021.
I’m considering it especially if the latest fix/theory doesn’t solve the electrical issue. I also told service center I’m open to buy back, trade/exchange for model 3 long range or model Y long range. My car is a performance Y. I got two managers from service center calling and texting within 60 minutes of sending that message via tesla app to my service representative. The manager of service center assured me they’d get the car working again as electrical issue wasn’t with motors, inverter or high voltage battery, seemed like a minor but hard to pin point issue in their opinion. A few days ago I was told issue was with front left body controller which controls 12Volt power to left (front?) side of vehicle. Replacement part is expected to arrive this week or next. Manager cited Covid & supply chain making repairs take longer than usual etc.
From the very start service center did everything to ease the inconvenience. Offered lots of Uber credit. After 2 weeks offered to get me a loaner Tesla, I finally took them up on the loaner model s.
Welp, I’m no longer considering lemon law right now. Got car back two days ago and have driven it a lot. The all the various panel misalignments and gaps, original reasons car was taken to service center, were corrected by the outsource body shop. A few before and after photos are in this forum thread. When bodyshop (name & location mentioned in prior link) adjusted trunk / liftgate, they eliminated a major source of rattling & vibration noises as well as a source of pulsating cabin pressure fluctuations.
The tesla service center did a great job of communicating with me via the app. Almost every day they had some sort of status message. They tried their best to mitigate the inconvenience of my car developing an electrical issue while under their care. They always offered me Uber credits (Uber is common here but I’m a Lyft kinda person). After car developed the electrical issue & managers heard about my inquiry about trading vehicle if electrical issue is too difficult to fix, they offered a Model S loaner which I took them up on.
In addition, tesla service center noticed I had curbed my new 21 inch Uber turbine rim. they offered to touch up the paint. I also had a big dent in the rim’s metal From the curbing incident. When I got car back, the rim looked brand new, no dent anymore. I wonder if they gave me a new rim. Seems unlikely, perhaps they have the ability to somehow remold dents in the rim.
Finally, the tesla service center initially told me they do not perform car washes at their location and apologized that my car will come back dirty since they are exactly next to Los Angeles’s busiest freeway, the 405. Something about zoning rules. However, they seemed eager to return the car nice & clean so I accepted since the car wash was brushless. I verified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re card key dead, SC resolved it during a visit. 2 new card keys ($40 or so).
Technician thought my key was demagnetized(!) possibly by being next to the "Tile" device in my wallet.
Since then my Android phone key is working OK.
If I don't visit the MY for a day or two, however, I have to open the Tesla app before the MY will open up.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0
I recently had both cards stop working in my 2021 Model 3 which I picked up last September. Couldn't resolve it myself, so I made a service appointment. It turned out the Bluetooth sensor in the door pillar had gotten wet and corroded. They removed and replaced the pillar applique and cleaned the connections. This fixed everything, including the sporadic issues I was having with the phone key not working unless it was out of my pocket. I don't know how the water got in, but hopefully replacing the applique will help prevent further issues. Everything was covered under the warranty. I was only at the SC for 2-1/2 hrs. A very satisfactory experience.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0
If I don't visit the MY for a day or two, however, I have to open the Tesla app before the MY will open up.
Sounds like an Android energy saving feature. To avoid this, you need to adjust the settings. This varies from Android phone but, in my samsung, in "settings" "apps" find the Tesla app and hit "battery" and make sure it is set to "unrestricted." Some phones (including samsung) also like to kill unused background applications. Either turn that off or exclude the Tesla app from that. Again, for my samsung this option is found under "battery and device care" "battery"

If done correctly, you won't have the problem where you have to wake your phone or open the Tesla app for the car to unlock.

Upvote 0