Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car 'keyed' caught on sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted on my local community FB page in an effort to find the perpetrator, this old tw@t was unaware he was being filmed when he keyed the Tesla parked next to him. Looking at the vid I can only assume he thought that the Tesla owner had dinged his car when opening the door so had decided to take revenge....

I think he has now been found.

Outrageous. I’d report it to the police, not just FB. Hope he gets the book thrown at him. Keep us updated.

On a related note, I’m increasingly saving dashcam footage of bad/obnoxious driving, occasionally saying to myself “I’m definitely reporting this guy”. Haven’t bothered to date but I’m sure someone will push me over the edge at some point. There was one last week which was diabolical but sadly the dashcam only saved footage prior to the event, not to the point at which I pressed the save button.

Reactions: Durzel
I’ll be willing to bet this old tw@t has keyed many a car in his miserable life and this is just the first time he’s been caught in the act. The fact he’s keying a Tesla is most likely an unfortunate coincidence.
I would defo be reporting to the police. Did you capture his number plate?

It wasn't my car, it was a post that has been shared all over FB in my area in an effort to identify the culprit and ended up on my local community FB page. I haven't put any details of the original post but the op has updated to say that he has been found and the matter is now sorted. When I realised the car was a Tesla I thought it might be of interest here.

Originally she put a very clear still image of the person and the location of the event and said that if he didn't come forward to make amends she would be contacting the police. I bet he shat himself when he saw the vid - talk about caught red-handed !

Reactions: Exy1
Outrageous. I’d report it to the police, not just FB. Hope he gets the book thrown at him. Keep us updated.

On a related note, I’m increasingly saving dashcam footage of bad/obnoxious driving, occasionally saying to myself “I’m definitely reporting this guy”. Haven’t bothered to date but I’m sure someone will push me over the edge at some point. There was one last week which was diabolical but sadly the dashcam only saved footage prior to the event, not to the point at which I pressed the save button.
I nearly reported a guy that overtook me in a 20mph, pretty much jumped a speed bump and just missed a van coming around a blind corner in front of us. I guess he took issue with the fact that I was doing 20 myself.

When I got home I decided not to bother as I figured if he had any sense he would've learnt a lesson from how close he was to having an accident.

I nearly reported a guy that overtook me in a 20mph, pretty much jumped a speed bump and just missed a van coming around a blind corner in front of us. I guess he took issue with the fact that I was doing 20 myself.

When I got home I decided not to bother as I figured if he had any sense he would've learnt a lesson from how close he was to having an accident.
And based on the above your evidence that he had any sense was?

Can you link the Facebook post please?
Not sure how you do that ?

The lady who's Tesla it was is a frontline NHS worker as well and she's just posted another vid of him returning 5 mins later and keying it for a third time - he really digs in with his keys, front to back, it's so clear, what an a**hole !

She said so many people came forward with his name, address and phone number but when she phoned him to confront him he was really nasty so she's reported it to the police.

The lady who's Tesla it was is a frontline NHS worker as well and she's just posted another vid of him returning 5 mins later and keying it for a third time - he really digs in with his keys, front to back, it's so clear, what an a**hole !

She said so many people came forward with his name, address and phone number but when she phoned him to confront him he was really nasty so she's reported it to the police.
There’s normally a share link on Facebook, I think? (I don’t use it much).

Textbook criminal damage. I hope he has to pay for the repairs in full, as a bare minimum.

What a complete POS. I hope that the coppers do him for criminal damage and his insurance pays out (Would an insurer even pay out in this circumstance??).
Hopefully he ends up with a criminal record for his efforts. That'll make his life a bit more difficult for him in future.

What’s complete [bleep] for doing something like that. Keying a car would be classified as vandalism. Unfortunately the chances are he’ll either plead guilty and probably just get a caution or doesn’t, goes to court and ends up with a fine, assuming this is a first offence (gets more complex if it isn’). If it goes down the court route then could take some time to sort as big backlog of cases running Into years (and very little to do with covid). Either way unlikely to cover the cost of a respray and impact this may have on the value of the car.

Just checking my dashcam footage on my laptop for the first time. Sadly it seems the footage saved whenever the "save" button is hit is pretty much up to the save moment and not beyond.

Given that for any enforcement to take place, police like to see a couple of minutes before and after, it would seem wise to try and remember to press the button a couple of times, at the time of the offence and shortly afterwards. This would be the easiest thing for Tesla to program automatically but I won't hold my breath!