Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car kicks up dust and dirt on rear: Any solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, first world problem...

I do like to keep my M3P clean though, and I’ve noticed that the rear gets really dusty/dirty pretty quickly, while the rest of the car stays relatively clean. I’m pretty sure it’s related to the aerodynamics of the car.

Are there any solutions? Mudflaps? Rear diffuser? Or do I just have to keep wiping it down after each drive?

raise shields.
unnamed.jpg

Decontaminate, seal, and consistent protection. Once you do the big one, its quick maintenance washes with ONR for like 9 months before you have to do the whole process once again.

You do the beginning step so your maintenance washes are quick and effective.
That's what I do. Ceramic-infused wax and Griot's BOS liquid detailer in between washes. It's inevitable the rear of cars will get build-up due to aerodynamics. Best you can do is touch-ups when possible.

If PPF is applied to the trunk lid, bumper & tail lights that will help avoid rail dust and the like from sticking to the paint. Also eliminates paint scratches when waterless washing.

I used to be completely obsessive about keeping my car in perfect condition scratch free clean and all everything that goes with it. I would always be ridiculously paranoid parking anywhere or leaving it outside even while running an errand or having dinner. Looking forward to the cyber truck that should have century mode and be damn near unbreakable. Hit it with a brillow pad if it gets a 'scratch' i guess. lol

Reactions: Payjack
I somewhat admire you folks who feel the need to wipe down their car after every drive. In SoCal, where I presume there's hardly any dirt on the road to begin with!

And here I thought I was treating ours nice when I gave it weekly washes!

You may find it beneficial to listen to those folks who recommend a surface finish that makes it really easy to clean the car (e.g. those fancy ceramic coatings or whatever). It won't necessarily make less stuff stick, but might make your daily wipe down easier or less scratchy.

You can use something like a California Duster to quickly remove light dust. That's probably the quickest solution. They're easier than using a towel and probably less prone to scratching the paint.

Big tip on the california duster. Make sure you use it properly or you will affect the surface.

The product is supposed to be used with the tips just barely touching the surface of the car.

If you use it like Arnold, the surface will have micro scratches/swirls.
the-original-california-large-car-cleaning-duster-car-home-wax-treated-brush-4.jpg

Just for absolute clarity... You need to use it like this picture
The%20Original%20California%20Car%20Duster-Car%20Duster-Detailer%20Series-62442.jpg

You can use something like a California Duster to quickly remove light dust. That's probably the quickest solution. They're easier than using a towel and probably less prone to scratching the paint.

Yes, I am using the California duster. It is quick, but I need to do it after every drive.

My car is ceramic coated- doesn’t make a difference. Dust still has to be wiped off the rear after every drive.

I was hoping there might be a better solution, but, as I thought, it doesn’t look like there is.

Yes, I am using the California duster. It is quick, but I need to do it after every drive.

My car is ceramic coated- doesn’t make a difference. Dust still has to be wiped off the rear after every drive.

I was hoping there might be a better solution, but, as I thought, it doesn’t look like there is.

Nope, unfortunately ceramic coating doesn't really help with dust. On the subject of coatings and such, I found that quick detailers seem (to me, at least) to make dust stick to the car more easily (my guess is because they grab the dust). That could be my imagination, though. The California Duster is the best solution I've found if you want to get dust off quickly without washing.