Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you accept the money for the total loss (if it is), check out the used Tesla inventory pricing at New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Currently there is only 1 2018 M3P available and it is priced at $67500. I don't think insurance will pay that much but at least you could start your bargaining there.
that's why totaled cars are assessed at fair market value... if you can point the insurance to the fact that you can't replace your totaled car with a comparable vehicle (age and miles) - they have to adjust the value.

Well according to the appraiser the car is going to be totaled though I haven’t gotten an official settlement offer yet. Unfortunately I just can’t see myself purchasing a $65000 car now that I’m a full time telecommuter so I’m probably not going to be driving a Tesla anymore after this.

I might try to grab a WRX hatch or something I had always wanted one before the model 3 and after driving electric since 2015 I do kind of miss rolling through the gears.

Sad day for sure.

Well according to the appraiser the car is going to be totaled though I haven’t gotten an official settlement offer yet. Unfortunately I just can’t see myself purchasing a $65000 car now that I’m a full time telecommuter so I’m probably not going to be driving a Tesla anymore after this.

I might try to grab a WRX hatch or something I had always wanted one before the model 3 and after driving electric since 2015 I do kind of miss rolling through the gears.

Sad day for sure.
At least you’d have options! When you have a Tesla, switching to another car would be very costly. Hope you get a big settlement offer - you may need to do some research and possibly involve a lawyer, but it’ll be all worth it in the end.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Why does it have to be a performance replacement. Get a straight Model 3 AWD.

You end up with a 4 year newer car, looks mostly the same, some newer tech, new warranty. And you’ll get much longer range. Then get the boost if you want.

If you like Tesla you should still be able to be in one. Assuming insurance is fair.

Now the wait to get a new one might be an issue.

Why does it have to be a performance replacement. Get a straight Model 3 AWD.

You end up with a 4 year newer car, looks mostly the same, some newer tech, new warranty. And you’ll get much longer range. Then get the boost if you want.

If you like Tesla you should still be able to be in one. Assuming insurance is fair.

Now the wait to get a new one might be an issue.
Delivery is November on those and it’s still $60k +tax plus $2k/yr in personal property tax. I bought mine used for $45k in January 2020 and that was already a lot for me. I don’t want to spend that much on a car and I certainly don’t want the slower model if I am spending that much.

At least you’d have options! When you have a Tesla, switching to another car would be very costly. Hope you get a big settlement offer - you may need to do some research and possibly involve a lawyer, but it’ll be all worth it in the end.
Same car with 15k more miles is going for $65000 from Tesla so I better get a good offer. Hope no lawyers are needed but I’m ready if necessary.

Reactions: Hiline
Good news and bad news. Your insurance will not price your loss by the price you paid, but by it's replacement value (if that is the type of policy you purchased.

Bad news, is that you are going to find all the cars you might want to replace it with, much more than you think. WRXs have gone up as well.

All cars, new and used have gone up.

Reactions: buckets0fun
You will probably be really happy with the payout. My 2021 SR+ was totalled last month. I paid $39,990 for it a year ago. Even though now the new ones are $46,990, the used ones were going for much more due to availability. Insurance deemed the total value at $53,000 based on 3 currently available cars of the same year with similar mileage at local dealers. They cut a check for $58k ($53k for the car + $5k for taxes and fees). I used that $58k to get a new M3P and only waited 4 weeks for it.

You will probably be really happy with the payout. My 2021 SR+ was totalled last month. I paid $39,990 for it a year ago. Even though now the new ones are $46,990, the used ones were going for much more due to availability. Insurance deemed the total value at $53,000 based on 3 currently available cars of the same year with similar mileage at local dealers. They cut a check for $58k ($53k for the car + $5k for taxes and fees). I used that $58k to get a new M3P and only waited 4 weeks for it.
If that is the case, I should be getting something close to $70k and maybe a 2022 M3P (no FSD) will be a possibility. The new warranty, heat pump, heated steering wheel, and other updates would be nice... I just wish the uberturbine wheels weren't so ugly.

Went to look at the 2022 P at the showroom yesterday and I wasn't impressed. The car clearly doesn't sit as low as my 2018 with PUP did and I really hate the uberturbines in person as much as I do in the pictures. On paper it is better than the car I had for not THAT much more money than my settlement offer but viscerally I just don't like the looks of it.

In normal times I could go buy a used one that I like for a reasonable price but we're in crazy times where 2018's that are almost out of warranty are going for $60k and a 2020 is like $64k. I don't even want FSD again, I never thought it was worth the money.

Maybe I just need to sit on it for a bit before deciding. Insurance will cover a rental car for a month.

Reactions: Aellinsar
As I am still on the fence about getting another model 3 I decided to put in a reservation for a 2022 performance. I figure I can eat the $250 down the road if I need to but I better get in line now. The webpage says estimated delivery dates are July-Sep on the Performance model which seemed reasonable given that the Rear Wheel Drive and Dual Motor are late 2022 or even early next year.

After I get my confirmation and fill out the basic info I get an update this morning that says Est Delivery: October 7 - November 18. WTF happened to July-September (which it still says on the ordering webpage by the way)?

Good news is that if I do get a new one, I found a sweet deal on some TSportline TS5 rims that'll fit the stock Performance tires and let me get rid of those fugly uberturbine wheels. They look sweet on the Midnight Silver Metallic with the blacked out trim... would be even better if the car in the pic had the red calipers.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 3.21.55 PM.png

Last edited:
My car was in an accident 7 weeks ago today. Geico initially estimated $6500 to repair (kinda laughable). Got to the bodyshop and then estimated $24500. Finally they got it into the shop and started teardown this week... and upped the repair estimate to $43000.

That's getting crazy high and to the point Geico might just want to write it off (high used prices are an asset, here(. I hope not - I'd really like to repair it. Comps are a bit hard to find as mine was one of the first 2018 3's LR-AWD with EAP. Most of the used ones I've seen are FSD (though I realize that's just a switch Tesla flips to increase the price).

My car was in an accident 7 weeks ago today. Geico initially estimated $6500 to repair (kinda laughable). Got to the bodyshop and then estimated $24500. Finally they got it into the shop and started teardown this week... and upped the repair estimate to $43000.

That's getting crazy high and to the point Geico might just want to write it off (high used prices are an asset, here(. I hope not - I'd really like to repair it. Comps are a bit hard to find as mine was one of the first 2018 3's LR-AWD with EAP. Most of the used ones I've seen are FSD (though I realize that's just a switch Tesla flips to increase the price).
Now I really want to know how much would they offer you. I have the same car 2018 M3 AWD with EAP.

Mine was a June 2018 with EAP + FSD and lifetime premium connectivity in Silver Metallic. There are almost zero true comps because they only made that color for like 6 months. That's why I am haggling with USAA right now. Their offer wasn't terrible but I think it'll cost me $60k+ to replace it in this market and I'll have to settle for White or Midnight Silver Metallic.

Now I really want to know how much would they offer you. I have the same car 2018 M3 AWD with EAP.

I mis-typed there. Mine is actually a RWD, not AWD. But I'll let you know.

As @golfcart said, comps are hard since Tesla has changed features so much. I know if I had to buy a new one I would gain some things (more range being #1, but also heated steering wheel and powered trunk) but I would also lose some things (connectivity, homelink, EAP).