Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas tint laws are dumb. Regular citizens are limited on the amount of tint we can put on our front two windows. Law enforcement however can go as dark as they want everywhere. I don't get why.
Texas is one of the states that allows the darkest front driver and passenger widows tinting. Actually police super dark windows is a hint to unmarked sedans and SUV's.

Really anything darker than 30% on the side windows is hard to see out at night - and you don't gain much in heat reduction (TSER) Total Solar Energy Rejected.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 11.59.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 11.59.42 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
Really anything darker than 30% on the side windows is hard to see out at night -
Yeah I got really bright and did something like 20% all around including the windshield on a car in about 2012.

Looked awesome...was great in the urban area commuting, day and even night. Dark county roads at night....in the rain...not so much. 🤣 Same thing for rural interstate with construction and therefore shifting lanes and a lack of reflective markers....in the pouring down rain. Yeah, that was a bit of a nervous drive.

Haven't made that mistake since then. But it looked great! 😎

We thought about an EV6 but unfortunately like most every dealer around us, the Kia dealers were marking theirs up $5-10k over sticker.
I went to test drive an EV6 at Miami Lakes Kia (Miami Lakes, Florida) they requested my license and they came back and said "NO TEST DRIVES"

You need to buy the car before they will let you drive it. Never seen that in my life before. Even Tesla offers test drives.

I went to test drive an EV6 at Miami Lakes Kia (Miami Lakes, Florida) they requested my license and they came back and said "NO TEST DRIVES"

You need to buy the car before they will let you drive it. Never seen that in my life before. Even Tesla offers test drives.
I would be pissed. So basically they copied down your name/address for further spam mails and such knowing that you can't drive the car from the beginning???

I have seen no test drive cars before but there is NO reason to take your driver license.

I would be pissed. So basically they copied down your name/address for further spam mails and such knowing that you can't drive the car from the beginning???

I have seen no test drive cars before but there is NO reason to take your driver license.
I definitely was pissed. I walked out and fortunately they have not spammed me as I didn't provide my phone or email.

I went to test drive the Ioniq 5. It was quite nice, but I like the EV6 styling a lot better.

Reactions: Aellinsar

Either that or they checked his credit score or saw what part of town he lived in and THEN decided not to offer a test drive. I'd still be pissed.

Third possibility is that they checked his driving record somehow, I suppose, which is less slimy.

They could not have checked my credit score without my SSN, which I didn't provide. In any case my credit score is very high, lets say higher than 800.

I also live in the in one of the best parts of the town of Miami Lakes.

As I mentioned, I went to the Hyundai dealer right next to the Kia dealer and they were very glad to offer me a test drive.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
In the ongoing saga of my car situation, after my car was totaled I did decide to put an order on a brand new P3D w/o FSD. I ordered on July 4th and initially my delivery date was supposed to be July-Sep (according to the webpage when I ordered). That quickly became Aug-Sep, then Sep-Oct, then Oct-Nov, and now it has moved back to Nov18 - Dec30.

Unfortunately, since my old car was totaled, I am car-less. Fortunately, my mom is RVing until halloween so I can use hers which was why I was OK waiting until September for delivery. Waiting until the end of the year is gonna be a different story.

I guess they got me with the bait and switch on the $250 deposit. I assume there is no way to get that back even if I point out that their estimated delivery at time of ordering was wildly inaccurate...

In the ongoing saga of my car situation, after my car was totaled I did decide to put an order on a brand new P3D w/o FSD. I ordered on July 4th and initially my delivery date was supposed to be July-Sep (according to the webpage when I ordered). That quickly became Aug-Sep, then Sep-Oct, then Oct-Nov, and now it has moved back to Nov18 - Dec30.

Unfortunately, since my old car was totaled, I am car-less. Fortunately, my mom is RVing until halloween so I can use hers which was why I was OK waiting until September for delivery. Waiting until the end of the year is gonna be a different story.

I guess they got me with the bait and switch on the $250 deposit. I assume there is no way to get that back even if I point out that their estimated delivery at time of ordering was wildly inaccurate...

I ordered a LR-AWD on July 17 with a Sept or Oct - December delivery date. I'm now at Jan-April and I suspect there is nothing you can do relative to the $250 deposit.

Similarly I had my dad's suburban for a couple months (the anti-Tesla! not what you want to drive at $5/gal gas this summer), but he needed it back. I found a decent deal on a 2011 Prius so I bought that. Hopefully I can drive for a few months for near what I bought it for and only be out tax. Still cheaper than a multi-month rental.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I ordered a LR-AWD on July 17 with a Sept or Oct - December delivery date. I'm now at Jan-April and I suspect there is nothing you can do relative to the $250 deposit.

Similarly I had my dad's suburban for a couple months (the anti-Tesla! not what you want to drive at $5/gal gas this summer), but he needed it back. I found a decent deal on a 2011 Prius so I bought that. Hopefully I can drive for a few months for near what I bought it for and only be out tax. Still cheaper than a multi-month rental.
Yeah for those of us that had our cars totaled it is a real headache right now. Either pay way too much for a used one or wait until who knows when for a new one to get delivered. Hope the Prius works out for you I have considered doing the same with a Bolt.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Yeah for those of us that had our cars totaled it is a real headache right now. Either pay way too much for a used one or wait until who knows when for a new one to get delivered. Hope the Prius works out for you I have considered doing the same with a Bolt.
No shockers here, but the Prius is.... not a Tesla. It does the job - a comfortable, fuel efficient ride to and from work. From a pure monetary point of view, a better investment than a Tesla.

But it sucks to drive. Making a right turn on red onto a road with a 40 mph speed limit I have to make sure there are no cars in about a quarter mile. Rated 0-60 is ~10 seconds, but that is doing what feels like abuse to the engine. Keeping the RPM's at something that doesn't feel like redline is probably 15-20 sec.

But I actually like it a lot better than the Suburban I was driving. IT at least fits in my garage and gets triple the mpg.

No shockers here, but the Prius is.... not a Tesla. It does the job - a comfortable, fuel efficient ride to and from work. From a pure monetary point of view, a better investment than a Tesla.

But it sucks to drive. Making a right turn on red onto a road with a 40 mph speed limit I have to make sure there are no cars in about a quarter mile. Rated 0-60 is ~10 seconds, but that is doing what feels like abuse to the engine. Keeping the RPM's at something that doesn't feel like redline is probably 15-20 sec.

But I actually like it a lot better than the Suburban I was driving. IT at least fits in my garage and gets triple the mpg.
It is an adjustment to drive almost anything after you get used to the response of a P3D. Like you said the Prius gets the job done but it’sa definite step down.

When I had a long commute and was significantly poorer back around 2014 I drove a 5 speed 1998 Chevy (geo) metro. 0-60 was ~17 seconds. It was awful you’d get cut off constantly and piss people off anytime you had to merge onto a high speed road. Glad those days are over. The devastating acceleration and instant response on the P3D makes everything easier and those are the things I miss the most about that car.

Got tired of having my delivery date pushed back. Picked up a CPO 2020 P3D- (stealth) from Tesla. Should have it by the end of the month.
On one hand, it probably came with FSD. On the other hand, it was probably almost as expensive as a new. On the third hand, extra one year warranty.

Hopefully it looks great and doesn't have too much wear! Did they let you transfer your deposit to the CPO car?

Reactions: ElectricNerd
On one hand, it probably came with FSD. On the other hand, it was probably almost as expensive as a new. On the third hand, extra one year warranty.

Hopefully it looks great and doesn't have too much wear! Did they let you transfer your deposit to the CPO car?
$51.5k and it came with FSD plus now I have a set of 18s along with the 20" TS5 I bought for the other car. Stealth performance CPO are cheap right now for some reason on the Tesla site. Couldn't pass it up.

Not sure about the deposit yet I have to talk to my sales guy but considering they told me Jul-Sep at order time and I currently sit at an estimated delivery of Nov18 - Dec30 it would be nice if they would let me apply my deposit to the other car. Its not like I am jerking them around my old car was totaled I have been carless since june 20th.

$51.5k and it came with FSD plus now I have a set of 18s along with the 20" TS5 I bought for the other car. Stealth performance CPO are cheap right now for some reason on the Tesla site. Couldn't pass it up.

Not sure about the deposit yet I have to talk to my sales guy but considering they told me Jul-Sep at order time and I currently sit at an estimated delivery of Nov18 - Dec30 it would be nice if they would let me apply my deposit to the other car. Its not like I am jerking them around my old car was totaled I have been carless since june 20th.
Oh yes, that is really good! I hope it's as great as your old car! What was the color?

Oh yes, that is really good! I hope it's as great as your old car! What was the color?
New one is White old one was the rare silver metallic but you just can't hardly find those anymore. No spoiler or big brakes are not a huge deal to me I just wanted the 0-60 in 3.2 and rims that I like. I can do some minor cosmetic mods to this one plus coilovers with the money I saved if I really want it lowered. I am getting a 2 year newer car for $6k less than my insurance paid out and I'll have a warranty through Jan 2025 so it is a win in my book.