TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car lines at school

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bulls96, Sep 4, 2018.

1. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Will be bringing my preschool age sons to school next week.

Just wonder how the people in school are going to find out how to open their doors, since I go out of the car.

How have your experiences been?

2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Not many people have so much trouble with it. They have to try like two or three times. It’s wearing out my door latch!

• Funny x 2
  3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#3 JeffK, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    While I don't have a monkey, I'm betting that an untrained monkey can figure out the Model 3 exterior door handles.

I wish someone would try this and put it up on youtube just to settle any doubt.

Might be lion proof* though (unlike inferior cars):

* No Guarantees.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Just roll down the window and have your child explain it to them. ;)

It's just for the first couple times, anyway, if they haven't seen one before. It usually the same few people working the line, right?

5. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

most people just poke the latch with their pointer finger until the window moves and scare the s*it outta them.

• Funny x 4
  6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Ya. They poke at the door handle and the door opens. But then they don’t know how to pull the door open. So they poke at the handle again and it activates the latch again! And it goes on for a few times before they figure it out.

7. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Funny, that is how I open my car some times (except it doesn't scare me). I use my index finger to poke the latch and then pull open by pressing my finger on the door behind the latch. Once the door pops open, doesn't take much effort to pull open and easy to open using just one finger.

8. Abstrakt1

Abstrakt1 Member

train your child to push the button on the interior when it is time. Saves some effort. I had a hotel valet stand at my door for like three minutes this weekend trying to figure out where to start. (I chose to park my own car). I figure generally people on the outside will figure it out my worry is always the people on the inside who want to pull the handle no matter how many times you tell them to use the button.

9. hamtonp

hamtonp Member

I had a teacher say, "I don't know how to open the door." the other day. It's not a big deal. My kid (1st grader) pushes the open door button and the door pops open. I don't have child lock on. The door doesn't open when the car is in motion anyway.

• Like x 1
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

There's a point at which you have to ask if you want your child attending that school :p

• Funny x 3
  11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

Ha. Had this experience last week. The teacher was trying to open the door to let my son in (kindergarten) she gave up saying it was too fancy so he opened it for her. :)

From the inside both my kids took to using the button right away. Kids learn fast, it's old fogies that have problems.

12. bulls96

bulls96 Member

That won't work (kids opening the door) with child lock correct?

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

Correct.