Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car locked me out !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the first day I hated my car and wanted to sent Tesla to hell !

I went out of the car to close the gate. When I walked back after a few seconds, car was locked with key and phone inside !

Wife is on vacation, so second key is at home LOCKED. Took me an hour to brake in to get the second key. The key in the car was in the center console, so how can this happen ?

Anybody else had the same experience ?

Fob battery may be dying so RF signal may be weak causing the car to think "no key = lock"

Did you have access to a computer? the API can unlock the car, even services likes ev-mote and teslalog, at the worst ask a neighbor to use their PC, logon to the website and hit unlock.

This happened to be, and the reason was because of an issue with the display where the top sometime get pressed by statics. And since they added the lock option at the top, this can happen.

You might notice that you have your bluetooth or about page open when you get in your car.

This mostly occur to be when the passenger side door get open.

I got locked *in* the car once. Stopped at a parking garage exit terminal, the car thought the key had left the car, it shutdown and refused to do anything for a good 5 minutes. Of course, I couldn't even open my door since I so close to the terminal.

This happened to my wife this morning. She set her purse with phone and fob on the back seat, closed the door, reached for the driver's door and the car was all locked up.

My 2001 and 2011 Mercedes' would not lock the doors if the fob was inside. Come on Tesla, time to catch up to a 15yr old Mercedes! Don't lock your customers out of their own car.

This happened to my wife this morning. She set her purse with phone and fob on the back seat, closed the door, reached for the driver's door and the car was all locked up.

My 2001 and 2011 Mercedes' would not lock the doors if the fob was inside. Come on Tesla, time to catch up to a 15yr old Mercedes! Don't lock your customers out of their own car.

I do that all the time (purse in backseat, close door, open driver door) I also often leave my purse in the car and run back in my kitchen for something, or get out to get the mail.

Going to turn off walk away lock when i get my car.

Reactions: wesley888
Or install the app on a friends phone and login. Still, not a good situation. Sorry it happened.
Another option might be to call his wife and have her unlock it remotely.

I once got locked out of the house while using my hot tub. I had to go to my neighbor's house in a towel at night in the middle of winter and call a locksmith. Fortunately they let me wait in their house until the locksmith arrived. Since then, I've always had doors which can be opened via a numeric keypad and have never had to worry about being locked out of the house again. So, another idea is to install a numeric keypad or have a spare house key hidden somewhere.