Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Locks at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I’ve checked off the box “exclude locking at home” my Y always locks itself, sometimes not immediately, but always sometime later after I have walked away after parking in my garage. I’ve checked and unchecked the box located in the Locks section of the UI, and watched as the change in the setting is saved by the software. However, it continues to lock itself no matter how many times I’ve made the change. It’s not a huge issue, but I’d rather not have the car locked while it’s parked in my garage. Any ideas?

Get the MY outside your garage and away from heavy tree cover so it has good view to the sky. If you cannot see the sky, then GPS position might be crap too. Stay in the MY and keep it alive for at least 3-5 minutes for a good GPS fix, so it can see multiple satellites. If overcast or raining, wait longer. Then set that as your home position. If you previously set home position too far away from where you parked, and/or it was done with low positional accuracy, then being in your garage might screw it up enough where it thinks you are not at home.

Reactions: Need
There is an old thread that documented the "home" geofence radius is about 500m. (or was it 500ft? I don't remember but it's pretty large distance)

@AlexHung this likely explains why my MY seems to refuse to auto-lock when I drive to the gym, which according to Google Maps is a 350m walk or drive from home. (I usually walk it in good weather, but have driven a few times.)

Even though I’ve checked off the box “exclude locking at home” my Y always locks itself, sometimes not immediately, but always sometime later after I have walked away after parking in my garage. I’ve checked and unchecked the box located in the Locks section of the UI, and watched as the change in the setting is saved by the software. However, it continues to lock itself no matter how many times I’ve made the change. It’s not a huge issue, but I’d rather not have the car locked while it’s parked in my garage. Any ideas?
This started happening to my 2019 Model 3 after I updated to 2021.32.10. Like you I've gone through all the steps of changing the settings, but the UI seems to be ignoring the checkbox. Now I have to turn walkaway lock off when I get home, and back on when I go for a ride somewhere.

This started happening recently. It doesn't lock right away, but after 20 minutes. The car knows it's my home, since the mirrors fold in. I believe it started around the update to 2021.32.22
Tried the two button screen reboot, to no avail.

This started happening recently. It doesn't lock right away, but after 20 minutes. The car knows it's my home, since the mirrors fold in. I believe it started around the update to 2021.32.22
Tried the two button screen reboot, to no avail.
I believe it might be tied into Stats app. There's a feature that auto locks the car, which I might have inadvertently tapped, without setting the ignore home feature, which is difficult to set (apparently you have to zoom all the way in on a map).
In any event, I turned it off in Stats app

Get the MY outside your garage and away from heavy tree cover so it has good view to the sky. If you cannot see the sky, then GPS position might be crap too. Stay in the MY and keep it alive for at least 3-5 minutes for a good GPS fix, so it can see multiple satellites. If overcast or raining, wait longer. Then set that as your home position. If you previously set home position too far away from where you parked, and/or it was done with low positional accuracy, then being in your garage might screw it up enough where it thinks you are not at home.
Thanks for your suggestion; that seems to have solved the problem.