Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car making fan like noises from funk when charging at 12Amp in 48 degree weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, is it normal for the model y to make fan like battery thermal management noises when charging up via slow 12Amp 120 Volt outlet and When the weather is a constant cool 48 degrees F? Car had been charging up for about 7 hours. I was charging from 30% to 55%. I had preconditioning turned off. I’ve had the car 2 weeks and this is the first time I have noticed possible thermal management noises due to charging in such forgiving conditions. My volt only made such noises if it was very hot outside while charging or the battery was very cold when plugging in. I could understand hearing such noises if I were charging up at 220V with high amp or supercharger.

As soon as the car is awake, charging or not, it will do some noise. The car will constantly circulate the coolant. It goes through the battery and motors but also through the computer I believe. That is all normal. I don't think you'll hear loud fans unless things get significantly warm. There is also an annoying hissing sound when the motors are generating heat to warm the battery. At 48F it's possible that the car decided to heat your battery a little bit before charging it.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54