TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car making noise while sitting in garage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Merrill, May 24, 2015.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Car was in the garage and not driven since yesterday pm, around 10am I go in the garage and hear noises coming from the car. Temp was around 65 and not plugged in, can someone tell me what it is doing to make this noise.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Probably the car is waking up to top off the 12V battery. Completely normal. Did you hear sort of the "cpu fan" noise from outside the car?

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Yes, it was only for a short period of time.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yeah, it must be what Todd said.

That apart, it could have been the Smart Preconditioning algorithm at work in case you have that turned on.

5. Ampster

Ampster Member

Hey, whatever happened is better than what happened with my Chevy Volt. One morning a few months ago I went to the garage and it was unusually warm. I instictively opened the garage door and discovered that when my wife or I parked the Volt in the garage the night before, we must not have pushed the start/stop button. When the propulsion battery got low the ICE came on to charge the pack. The garage must have been filled with carbon monoxide. Subsequently, Chevrolet has issued a recall but to fix this problem I will have to make an appointment, take time to take the Volt to the dealer, and arrange transportation back and forth. A similar problem with a Tesla and we would have had an over the air update while we were sleeping. That is the tecnological lead that Tesla has over the competition.

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I don't think you'll have to worry about the ICE coming on in a Tesla. ;)

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Was the keyfob also still in the Volt? I thought this would only happen if you didn't turn the car off and left the fob inside.

8. Ampster

Ampster Member

#8 Ampster, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Yes I think it was. The Volt beeps if you do that but we must not have been paying attention.

9. Rama

Rama Member

I'm glad the car does this. Our Leaf must not. I came back from a business trip once and my wife had managed to run the 12v battery dead. I had to jump the Leaf! Jump an electric car!

10. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

I believe the Leaf has a "feature" where the 12V battery is only charged from the traction battery when the car is not plugged into the mains. So if you leave a Leaf for a long period of time the advice is to leave it unplugged.

11. uisynot

uisynot Member

I'm getting an odd fan noise when I open the door to "wake" the car. It's coming from the driver's side front tire area and smart pre conditioning is off, climate controls are off and the noise goes away as soon as I close the door to leave, but if I sit in the car, the noise will just continue and it's very annoying. Video attached.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52d2JIeFVITEtlWWc/view?usp=sharing[/video]