Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car manufacturer testing scandals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LongRanger

Jan 11, 2020
Wales
Moderator comment - thread initially spun off from I've ordered an ID.3

I can’t and won’t forgive Volkswagen for treating everyone like fools over diesel and also making a series of rattly, unreliable cars whilst claiming they are a top marque.

Not a single penny more will they receive from me.

Not Saying Tesla great, VW rubbish - just VW rubbish :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t and won’t forgive Volkswagen for treating everyone like fools over diesel and also making a series of rattly, unreliable cars whilst claiming they are a top marque.

The proof of the pudding will be after a couple of years of real-world driving, when battery degradation effects can be measured.

I was of the same opinion but, regardless of the reason behind it, VW are really the only other company actually embracing electrification.
Diess is betting the company on it, I think, and the internal pressure to maintain the status quo must have been monumental.
They deserve redemption for that, as far as I'm concerned.
Toyota should burn.

I bet they have a lower power mode to make the car look like its less 'thirsty'(equivalent term needed!) ...sneaky lot those vw engineers.

The thing with VW is they includes audi, seat, skoda, lambo, porsche so avoiding them would 50% of the car market.
Just saying.

VW 2019 market share of the UK market was around 15.6%
VW is outsold by Ford.
Audi is outsold by both BMW and Mercedes,
Porsche is outsold by Jaguar.
Skoda and Seat are outsold by Kia, Hyundai and Peugeot.

Doesn't seem British people find them too hard to avoid.

Reviews suggest ID.3 is a good car let down by some software bugs. Shame VW is only bringing the ID.4 to North America, but not a surprise.
(I still wouldn't buy one, I'm with Never-VWers. VAG should have been kicked out of the USA)

Reactions: curmudgeon
VW is a tainted company. Credibility was lossed with several scandals.

People will still buy them as they are an industrial powerhouse.

They are probably going to be the largest competition for Tesla.

They have no long term solution for charging outside urban centers.

After the Netflix documentary it bugged me enough that I did exclude the VW group mainstream brands(budget didnt reach Lamborghini levels!) from my next car search. Had been looking at Audi & looking forward to one. This ended with me getting a Kia Niro (only hybrid at first). This then sparked my interest into EVs. The rest is history.

A few years ago I bought my first Skoda Kodiaq (space and 7 seats). Was a great car, fairly good on consumption, was looking at around 37mpg, not bad for a big car. Anyway, swapped it for a new one last Dec 2020. They had changed their engines. So I bought the same size and saved some money on finance.

Again great car, apart from the consumption had dive bombed into 25-30mpg max. It was horrendous, and with petrol prices steadily rising along with used car prices....I sold it for a price that meant it cost me nothing to run for that year pretty much. Crazy.

Took my first, and then third test drive in M3 and the rest is history. So while the Skoda was a lovely car, the mpg were definitely inflated from what I got in eco mode. At least with an EV you can see what you are using a lot easier.