Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car manufacturers with worse service than Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, where is the start of the crack to determine it’s caused by stress & not the glass being hit/chipped?
Have Tesla agreed to cover it under warranty?
And yes, 3 months is pathetic
It's hard to see the ends of the cracks, but there's no sign at all, anywhere on the exterior of the glass, of any sort of impact.

Tesla has not agreed it's a warranty item as they haven't seen it for themselves. OK. But, disappointingly I had to agree to a ~$1500 quote for the repair before they'd even progress it.

Threads such as this one are quite depressing, since they posit a situation that is obviously not in evidence.
Were Tesla to be really bad it would be impossible to have such high owner satisfaction.
That said, there is equally obviously room for substantial improvement. In my ~50 new car purchases I have had good, bad and ugly. My single worst experience was with a BMW dealer and BMW direct also. I also have had outstanding service from another BMW dealer. I cannot list all of them but I will say that Tesla has been, on balance, the best of the lot because there was no dealer in the middle.

In a Tesla accident repair I had lousy results with parts availability, but that was an early P3D. Still I was unhappy. In other situations I have waited months for a transmission replacement when the one in my new BMW failed a month after delivery. The list of warranty repair problems with Porsche and Mercedes is pretty long. However, every one of those involved new models with new technology. Frankly, cars, boats and airplanes have had similar issues.

So, what is different about Tesla? Continuous improvement, OTA updates for almost everything and hardware upgrades too. A Tesla is a complex beast and many people are ill-equipped to cope with a supercomputer on wheels. Fewer are comforted by communication via electronic communication while finding a human being with whom to talk is rather difficult.

It seems to me that most of the 'Tesla has the worst service' rhetoric stems from culture shock. Many people still think about driving to a dealer, talking with a service writer then waiting. It's not easy coping with a mobile service vehicle, a problem resolved via an OTA diagnosis and repair,etc.

As for me I accept the odd quirk because the total experience is magnificent.
Completely agree. !
Even if I tried, I could never have summarized this better than you just did. Mic dropped.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Complaining about Tesla service when there is zero required maintenance seems odd. Still, when you DO need service you'd like to have it be better than the proverbial Citibank teller of 1977, would you not?
It’s interesting to read posts on this forum that tend to highlight what an echo chamber it is - I read a post yesterday about a Tesla owner with a litany of faults with his car & how on another car forum (Audi?) there are a ton of previous Tesla owners who themselves had too many problems to justify buying another Tesla

Completely agree. !
Even if I tried, I could never have summarized this better than you just did. Mic dropped.

Although the service centres I’ve dealt with have been terrible with repeated visits for the same issue (Richmond & Elsternwick), there is more to a company than their service centres. And on the whole, Tesla is atrocious
If you've been to one Tesla Service Center, you've been to one Tesla Service Center! Typical of any automobile dealer. Service centers vary.
A GM service center once told me to ignore an ONSTAR warning that the passenger cabin was filling with carbon monoxide. Dah!

Nuclear: You need to buy a Ford!

March 5, 2021 — Ford is recalling its electric Mustang Mach-E SUVs for loose subframe bolts as thousands of customers wait for delivery of their Mach-E SUVs. ... Ford says it found Mach-E SUVs may have subframe bolts that weren't tightened by the supplier.

Bad software is turning some Mustang Mach-Es into ‘electric bricks’​

Ford Won’t Release Mustang Mach-E Due To Quality Issues​

Satisfied Customer:
5,000 miles on my Red Arrow Model Y. Perfect paint, perfectly quiet, perfect range, perfect acceleration, perfect seams and nary a visit to the new SC in Merritt Island, FL, fifteen miles from my house. Performs as designed. I crawl under my Tesla every three months just to remind myself what a hassle it used to be to do/get an oil change or go in for maintenance issues every three months and have them find five other things to repair. Having owned five TESLAs, I've had less than six service calls, and oh yes one no-hassle mobile service. Freedom. The ICE has melted.

Attachments

• Happy Easter Egg.jpg
    Happy Easter Egg.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 44
If you've been to one Tesla Service Center, you've been to one Tesla Service Center! Typical of any automobile dealer. Service centers vary.
A GM service center once told me to ignore an ONSTAR warning that the passenger cabin was filling with carbon monoxide. Dah!

Nuclear: You need to buy a Ford!

March 5, 2021 — Ford is recalling its electric Mustang Mach-E SUVs for loose subframe bolts as thousands of customers wait for delivery of their Mach-E SUVs. ... Ford says it found Mach-E SUVs may have subframe bolts that weren't tightened by the supplier.

Bad software is turning some Mustang Mach-Es into ‘electric bricks’​

Ford Won’t Release Mustang Mach-E Due To Quality Issues​

Satisfied Customer:
5,000 miles on my Red Arrow Model Y. Perfect paint, perfectly quiet, perfect range, perfect acceleration, perfect seams and nary a visit to the new SC in Merritt Island, FL, fifteen miles from my house. Performs as designed. I crawl under my Tesla every three months just to remind myself what a hassle it used to be to do/get an oil change or go in for maintenance issues every three months and have them find five other things to repair. Having owned five TESLAs, I've had less than six service calls, and oh yes one no-hassle mobile service. Freedom. The ICE has melted.
I am seriously considering the Mercedes EQC when it has better range in line with the EQS

I am seriously considering the Mercedes EQC when it has better range in line with the EQS
Maybe a good choice when it gets here. It's comparable to a Model Y, except for about 136 miles less range for $20,000 more. Oh, also no international supercharging network. Watch those Mercedes repair bills. Been there done that. Done.

Last edited:
Maybe a good choice when it gets here. It's comparable to a Model Y, except for about 136 miles less range for $20,000 more. Oh, also no international supercharging network. Watch those Mercedes repair bills. Been there done that. Done.
Why would an australian based car need an international charging network? Not many take their car overseas on holidays.

Oh, also no international supercharging network.
Maybe it’s a foreign concept to those in the USA, but in AUS/NZ and Europe where Model 3 has a native CCS2 charging port, the Supercharger Network is no longer the differentiator it was. The concept that each manufacturer needs to show their “commitment” to EVs by building their own charging network is now utterly redundant here.

In Australia, there are a growing number of third-party DCFCs that are faster and cheaper than Tesla Superchargers, and often in better and more convenient locations. They all have CCS2 cables. There are no v3 Superchargers in Australia (yet?), so if you want to charge Model 3 at 180 kW (its on-board maximum) you go to Evie or Chargefox.

And in shopping centres etc, Model 3 can use the Level 2 AC chargers no problems as well if they have the Mennekes connector, or J-1772 with a simple adaptor. It’s absolutely wonderful.

The total number of third-party DCFCs (50kW or better) overtook the number of Tesla Superchargers here in 2019. CCS2 is now the de-facto “standard”.

Maybe it’s a foreign concept to those in the USA, but in AUS/NZ and Europe where Model 3 has a native CCS2 charging port, the Supercharger Network is no longer the differentiator it was. The concept that each manufacturer needs to show their “commitment” to EVs by building their own charging network is now utterly redundant here.
I mean.. kind of... but depending on where you live the Supercharger network is still a decent selling point, because a lot of those other DCFCs are in single unit sites, and many of them have had some serious reliability issues (offline for weeks or months at a time). Mittagong NRMA only came back yesterday, having been unserviceable since about March 17 (which included the Easter weekend and start of school holidays).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see those third party networks rolling out and I'll use whichever (available, working) charger is most convenient for me - shout out to Evie Seven Hills! - but for now at least I'm glad I have access to the Supercharger network.

I mean.. kind of... but depending on where you live the Supercharger network is still a decent selling point, because a lot of those other DCFCs are in single unit sites, and many of them have had some serious reliability issues (offline for weeks or months at a time). Mittagong NRMA only came back yesterday, having been unserviceable since about March 17 (which included the Easter weekend and start of school holidays).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see those third party networks rolling out and I'll use whichever (available, working) charger is most convenient for me - shout out to Evie Seven Hills! - but for now at least I'm glad I have access to the Supercharger network.
There are also a significant number of owners that still have free supercharger use

Yes, single stalls are risky if you absolutely need to rely on them (PlugShare is your friend here, but not a guarantee) but you’ve have to concede that the Tesla presence west of the “sandstone curtain” is a problem which others have addressed.

There are also a significant number of owners that still have free supercharger use
Yep, fair call, but that’s not the vast majority of Teslas in Australia which are Model 3. Also, I don’t go out of my way to use NRMA just because they are free, for example (and their speed is rarely an issue for me as well) so even if I had free Supercharging it would rarely impact my choice of charging location. The prime considerations are location and convenience.

19 service “events” for me in the last 2.5 years. Over half result in the SC acknowledging a fault and refusing to repair, claiming a future OTA update will fix it. years go by. Not fixed….

Mechanical problems often take repeated visits to get fixed correctly.

Problems persist. New problems arise. Service is abysmal. Must cost Tesla an arm and a leg in unnecessary work, wasted time, without even considering lost future sales

Being a lucky owner who has yet to need service is just that - luck ! Give it a year or two and and the fan will be pointing at you when the *sugar* flies.

Reactions: InternetDude
19 service “events” for me in the last 2.5 years. Over half result in the SC acknowledging a fault and refusing to repair, claiming a future OTA update will fix it. years go by. Not fixed….

Problems persist. New problems arise. Service is abysmal. Must cost Tesla an arm and a leg in unnecessary work, wasted time, without even considering lost future sales

Being a lucky owner who has yet to need service is just that - luck ! Give it a year or two and and the fan will be pointing at you when the *sugar* flies.
They often claim that they sell every car they can make. Rubbish considering S&X sales crashed in the last few years, which has cost them hundreds of million$ in profit. Then Musk spins garbage that they are unimportant in the long term as an excuse.
They better get the refresh right & not have design flaws like the acceleration shudder on Model X

I've been there man... I had more than a dozen service visits over 2.5 years and hit my breaking point. Don't have a Tesla in the garage anymore and it feels great. Less stressful. If you want to see what issues I had see:

• Informative
Reactions: Nuclear Fusion