Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car may not restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S. Message on screen: car may not restart. Service told me it was in need of a "rear motor". Parts + labor $7,000. I took it the same day to service. I declined the repair. On the way home, the message was no longer on my screen. Other owners have suggested it could be the 12v battery which is a far less expensive fix. Not excited about spending that kind of money. I just spent $2600 for a new MCU unit which was leaking a sticky toxic fluid.

Ouch, just curious was the motor replaced previously?
No but the 12v has been replaced twice. It wasn't expensive. I wish I could take it to another service station but I'm certain the diagnosis for a new rear motor is now on file and another service station would not like to contradict the others diagnosis. Kind of hostage to tesla service stations. There is a former Tesla employee who left Tesla to start his own service repair shop. I may take it to him.

Upvote 0
Ouch, just curious was the motor replaced previously?
BTW. The warning message is no longer on my screen. Could it be a false reading. I'll take the chance and will be driving out of state. If the warning reappears, I'll have to consider selling it as is or having the repairs done by an authorized non Tesla repair shop. Their hourly rate is $110. Tesla is $190. One of the Tesla employees at the service station would be happy to buy the car. Why would he want a car which is requiring a $7,000 repair. Umm! Thanks to everyone;s comments and suggestions.

Upvote 0
What was their specific diagnosis vs just “needs a rear DU”? Your error msg could be due to a number of things and it’s not uncommon for the msg to go away, but still indicative of a real problem still. Double-edged sword with so many sensors and software.
I’ve had msgs like that pop up every once in a while that go away. It’s when they pop up more than once in a week etc. that I worry/have the SC take a look. Last time that actually happened they diagnosed a failing battery coolant heater. My SC, fortunately, has always been great with no BS.

Upvote 0