Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car moving forward when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am posting here because I had a similar issue today.

I was parked, and I switched to D. To my surprise, the car started Reversing! I tried shifting the mode to P, back to D, but instead of driving forward, the car goes into reverse. I quickly did the software reset using the two buttons on the steering and it solved the problem.

I hope this is just a software glitch and it does not repeat again in the future.

Thoughts anyone?

Model 3, 2022, Software 2023.32.9

The bug can be reproduced. I’ve reported it to Tesla Service and I hope they do something with it.

Just park your car with the front wheels elevated on a rubber curb.
How high? Does it have to be rubber? What hardness? Explain exactly what's needed to reproduce it on your end.

I regularly park my front wheels on 1.5-2.0" wooden planks so that my lift arms could fit under the car. I've never had this 'bug' happen when backing off those planks.

This just happened to me in a Tesla service center parking lot with a service tech in the car (22 refresh MX). We were going for a drive so he could hear an unrelated (to this) noise issue. We were both baffled.

Definitely not rolling, definitely forward motion tied to pedal engagement despite being in reverse. We switched positions and the problem disappeared.

• Funny
Reactions: jason_my
How high? Does it have to be rubber? What hardness? Explain exactly what's needed to reproduce it on your end.

I regularly park my front wheels on 1.5-2.0" wooden planks so that my lift arms could fit under the car. I've never had this 'bug' happen when backing off those planks.
I didn’t take a photo but I managed to snapshot one from YouTube. Just make sure both of your front wheels are slightly elevated in the picture, then Park.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13