Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car much louder above 70MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm curious- does anyone else have this problem? If I'm cruising on the highway and decide to push it up past 70, the car gets noticeably louder... The noises I'm hearing almost sounds like tire noise, but it's so loud I almost feel like some of the noise and vibration is coming from the engine too. I've heard others talk about the "groan"... but they seemed to describe it more on acceleration. This isn't hard acceleration per se, more just going faster... I do have the pano and 21" wheels... so I'm not sure if this is just normal or what?

This has been extensively discussed on the following thread - it is the motor resonating - Tesla is aware and has replaced some, but my local service manager has been non-committal (I have this also). It's annoying...

Strong Noise when driving above 67mph

Ah yes, I forgot about that thread.. I listened to the video in the original post again, and my car definitely sounds very similar to that around 70MPH and above... ughh. another thing to add to the list for the year check-up I guess.

There is a "low decibel" sound issue that some have had. I believe I am starting to hear this too, but for me is very very light and is kind of sort of hard to hear at the moment and would be hard to point out to service. However, some others have had this low-decibel sound very loud. I describe this as "low-decibel" to distinguish it from the other "high pitch hum" and "high pitch balloon squeal" which are power/electrical related. I think the sound you are described is either a bad "motor"/drive train unit thing or possible bushings on the wheels? Others can chime in here that can describe this better than me...

Interesting.

I noted about a week ago that I could hear a hum/whine emanating from the rear of the vehicle that hadn't been there for the previous 16,000+ miles.

I also found it as I approached 70MPH. Doing some testing, it appears to be tied to motor power, and not simply vehicle speed... as if I coast downhill at 70 and back off the accelerator, the sound diminishes significantly.

Time to go read that other thread...

To see all these repair issues (Pano roof, rear light moisture, steering wheel clicking, replacement inverters/drive motors, etc, etc) is concerning to me... especially if the fixes are just temporary... at some point as they sell more and more cars the service centers will become overwhelmed by a thousand small cuts... Another thing that concerns me is, once that starts to happen they'll become a lot more resistant to fixing issues that seem more like minor annoyances, but aren't affecting the overall functionality of the car in such a way where it becomes unusable, etc... It almost feels like I'll want to take my car in for all these small issues as soon as possible, before they start to clamp down and say "no" to a lot of things because their service centers are swamped

To see all these repair issues (Pano roof, rear light moisture, steering wheel clicking, replacement inverters/drive motors, etc, etc) is concerning to me..... It almost feels like I'll want to take my car in for all these small issues as soon as possible, before they start to clamp down and say "no" to a lot of things because their service centers are swamped

that'll never happen. first, they are all warranty items. second, Tesla is gung-ho on making sure everyone is happy and fixing the little things. their service *goal* is to "Create the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program" Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program | Blog | Tesla Motors . They might not be there yet, but that is the direction they are headed. I don't get concerned about these little things because I know in the end they'll do the right thing.

YoBig is right. I think you get a slightly tainted view of how many problems there really are with Tesla. There are usually a thousand plus on this forum and a relative few who have experienced problems. How many of them have not been addressed already? Much fewer. Tesla wants to do what is right and I have no doubt they will continue to do so.