Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Car needs service - car may not restart" - what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked yesterday, all good. Came down to the car today and got presented the following messages:

"Car needs service - car may not restart"
"Car needs service - PULL OVER SAFELY"
"12V Power low - car may shut down unexpectedly"

...and the car was of course undriveable. Car is parked in a basement with no WLAN or cell phone service, so Tesla couldn't read any live data from it where it is now.

Any ideas what might be the problem? As simple as a 12V battery (car is 4 years old, 90k miles), or something worse?

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Problem is, no wlan or cell phone where the car is at the moment, so they are unable to read the data from the car where it sits now. Guess I have to try to hook up a booster pack and see if it can be "started" then..

Reactions: Superendo
I've been having similar problem when trying to supercharge. Charging port turns red, car won't charge, and displays the same error messages as yours. My 2014 P85 is at a service center now. Diagnosis: bad high voltage junction box. If your Tesla is out of warranty, you might try popping of the nose cone, and wiring up any spare, charged 12 volt battery to the jumper terminals with 12 or 10 gauge wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
Just got back home. Car had shut completely down in the meantime, both displays dark. Popped off the nosecone and put on a small 12V battery charger, then the car came back alive with the same error messages. Will leave the charger on until it finishes and see how it works then. Glad I can take some time off tomorrow to either bring it to the service center or get it transported there..

interesting thread, I also experienced the same problem
o.png

Called Tesla assistance. They read the error messages, and it seems like the main battery (contactors) might be the main problem. They sent out a tow truck to pick up the car.. The tow truck left with the car 10 minutes ago - have to call Tesla tomorrow to get a loaner after easter. Creds to Tesla for quick and neat service so far. :)

Called Tesla assistance. They read the error messages, and it seems like the main battery (contactors) might be the main problem. They sent out a tow truck to pick up the car.. The tow truck left with the car 10 minutes ago - have to call Tesla tomorrow to get a loaner after easter. Creds to Tesla for quick and neat service so far. :)

So the car didn't give you warnings before this? The contactors degrade usually, not die all of a sudden, and the car's internal diagnostics measure the voltage change across the contactors and will put up a "Reduced Acceleration - Contact Tesla Service" warning. The only exception to this is when the firmware hasn't been updated for a very long time (i.e. still on 7.0 or earlier I believe).

• Helpful
No warnings - in fact never had a single warning ever about anything until now. Worked fine Tuesday afternoon, did not work Wednesday morning.. Firmware is not the newest (haven't gotten it yet), but still a 2018 version, last update a couple weeks ago.

I've just had the same error message, out of the blue. Despite the car still working, and the error message only appearing in Park, Tesla pulled the logs remotely, said that there was a pack problem and organised a flat tow 320km to the service centre. They told me that there was a problem with the main battery pack

Same happened to us 2 months ago. Went to a store, car was perfect. Got back to the car with the same dash warnings as OP. Tesla remotely diagnosed a main battery fault and said it was not prudent to drive to the Service Center (200 km). Got a refurbished pack. In our case, we had to do 3 100% to 0% (as recommended by the Service Center when I mentionned I was not getting my usual 396 km) to rebalance. After, all is fine and the pack put in 72 kW at the last 0% to 100%. Happy camper here. Nov 2013 built 85 with 175000 km. Great service to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: doctorwho