Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car needs service - Car may not restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Temperatures are dipping below 40 F here and I got the pop-up warning on my cluster twice during my short commute home "Car needs service Car may not restart" I don't drive far enough for the battery to warm up to full regenerative braking capacity and I'm not even sure if the warning is related to this. The car feels normal without any deviations from performance other than reduced range that I've attributed to colder weather. The warning clears on its own after a minute or two and since it only happened twice I can't isolate it to any specific driving condition. I called the closest Tesla service center, which suggested to call again if I have troubles tomorrow morning. Model S forums run the gamut from cooling pump replacements to replacement of the high voltage battery. Anyone else have this issue warning pop up lately?

I was hoping they would have addressed the 12v battery issue by now. I do have an earlier VIN though. Do you recall how much time passed between the two warnings?
I have a very early vin #997
I was getting the beep, beep, beep, as I turned to exit the car, every time I turned to look I say the message retreating. This happened 2-3 time a week for 3 weeks before I was able to catch the message. Twice after seeing the message (or hearing the beeps) The Model S did a cold start (like when the sleep setting is enables -- which it is not for me) and one of those time the cold start was followed by the 12v warning.

Sunday, I got the car may not restart warning 3 times while driving, but did not get it Monday nor so far today.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dazureus
Yeah, so a bunch more of the same warning then these popped up this morning. Ive sent the picture to my closest service center and they will contact me when the service opens. Luckily I'm not stranded on the side of the road.

Attachments

• 20161123_080114.jpg
    20161123_080114.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 264
Since it's still early in the day, road side assistance is coming to pick up the vehicle in two hours. Then local logistics will take the car from them to take down to the service center (108 miles). They sometimes have loaners, but it's limited availability in my state.

Last edited:
DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNING!! Get the car to the SC right away. I have had 2 instances following that warning where I got stranded and the car would not start. They traced it to a high power cable that goes to one of the motors. They replaced the cable once. It happened again, a couple of months later, and they determined that the replacement cable was an old version that had a design flaw. They replaced it a second time, with the new version, and it has been fine since.

Reactions: vrykolas
It's popping up on my 2014 model S, Eventually I also got a 12v system warning. I have an appt in Dec.

Car did not start Friday afternoon, neither the center console nor the instrument cluster displays lit up. The handles would present & I could roll down a window and open the charge port, though I could not get it to unlock to charge.

Fast forward 8 hours later, and the displays work and I can get it plugged in, so did not drive it the remainder of the weekend. Tesla replaced my 12v this morning (monday).

Let us know what was needed to fix your vehicle. Hopefully they have a nice loaner for you.

The SC just finished up with the repairs and will return the vehicle to me on Monday. Turns out it was, as ptsagcy stated, due to a fault in the high voltage cable going to the front drive unit. There was some kind of internal short in the cable that was reproducible if the cable was flexed in a specific manner. I got a model S P85 to drive around for the week that was quickly delivered to me on Monday and the Cleveland SC provided very timely status updates about my repair. They even drove the 108 miles to get the lug nut adapter I forgot to provide for my aftermarket winter wheels. Great experience all around.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Final update to this thread. Got the car back yesterday and everything is working as expected. The invoice reads as follows:

"Isolation fault found front drive unit cable connectors have isolation faults causing vehicle to shut down unexpectedly
Corrections: HV Harness - FJB to Front Drive Unit"

This might explain why the local flatbed driver couldn't get the vehicle into neutral.

In addition to the HV harness repair, they proactively replaced both of my front door latches "as per bulletin" I've already had a ranger replace a failed drivers door latch and that was replaced again despite not having any issue with it. Great to see Tesla is being proactive with repairs, especially considering we don't have a service center in state yet. Of course, no charge to me and my vehicle was valeted to my house with a full charge. Thanks again to the Cleveland team!