Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Car may not start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this message appear several times when I turned off the car.

I took the car in the service the first time and they replaced the main battery. Car was taken in on 4.14.2009 and returned 5.7.2019. I got home and the same message reappeared. They had me reboot the car.

The message reappeared on 5.15.2019 and again I took it in for service. This time they replaced the on-board charger under the back seat. They returned the car on 6.21.2019 after having it for more that a month.

6.29.2019 1:16 pm when I turned off the car the SAME message reappeared.

Have anyone had this same messaged and got it fixed?

My Car is a 2016 S model P90D

Not sure if this is related, but,
when I stopped by the service center yesterday they said that there was a patch being released that addressed a DC to DC converter issue. the 12VDC battery and onboard charger are on either side of the DC to DC converter. the patch also addresses 12V temp range alerts.

Car was taken in on 4.14.2009 and returned 5.7.2019. I got home and the same message reappeared.
Glad you said it was a 2016 model, else I would have wondered why they had your car for 10 years :D
I'd be curious about what is causing this as well. I saw it on our MX, ONCE about 2 weeks ago, yet haven't seen it again. Service folks said they didn't see anything of importance in the logs, and the car is fine :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I had that message appear on both my 2013 S and and 2016 X when I had them. Both vehicles had similar symptoms - message would appear when I get in the car and/or started driving, but the car would still start. Eventually I got stranded and had to get towed in. The DC to DC converter failed in both cases and was replaced. I got stranded because the 12V battery died/failed and jumping it could not revive it. The tech told me that because the converter failed, the 12V battery was being slowly drained/stressed, eventually causing failure. The message never appeared again after the converter and battery were replaced.

Both mainland Tesla service and the local folks advised to snap a picture whenever an error message appears, so they have the exact message and timestamp. Apparently finding error messages in the vehicle logs is not easy, so having the exact message and timestamp helps when troubleshooting.

Reactions: 28260 and Akikiki
I had that message appear on both my 2013 S and and 2016 X when I had them. Both vehicles had similar symptoms - message would appear when I get in the car and/or started driving, but the car would still start. Eventually I got stranded and had to get towed in. The DC to DC converter failed in both cases and was replaced. I got stranded because the 12V battery died/failed and jumping it could not revive it. The tech told me that because the converter failed, the 12V battery was being slowly drained/stressed, eventually causing failure. The message never appeared again after the converter and battery were replaced.

Both mainland Tesla service and the local folks advised to snap a picture whenever an error message appears, so they have the exact message and timestamp. Apparently finding error messages in the vehicle logs is not easy, so having the exact message and timestamp helps when troubleshooting.

Anyone know how to get the attention of management to get a problem resolved?
In short this issue still is not fixed.
Here is how long they have had my car.
April 14 to May 7th -Replace main battery
May 15th to June 21th - replaced onboard charger
July 5th to not returned yet - replaced high voltage cable

Tesla has tried to fix this problem for more than 100 days!

Any ideas how I get this escalated?

Very frustrated owner.

I have had this message appear several times when I turned off the car.

I took the car in the service the first time and they replaced the main battery. Car was taken in on 4.14.2009 and returned 5.7.2019. I got home and the same message reappeared. They had me reboot the car.

The message reappeared on 5.15.2019 and again I took it in for service. This time they replaced the on-board charger under the back seat. They returned the car on 6.21.2019 after having it for more that a month.

6.29.2019 1:16 pm when I turned off the car the SAME message reappeared.

Have anyone had this same messaged and got it fixed?

My Car is a 2016 S model P90D

Yes I've seen that message twice in my 2012 S85 Signature. It seems your car needs a 12 volt battery, have them replace that. I can't believe they didn't know or weren't able to determine that from the logs in the car. A low 12 volt battery will not have enough energy to pull the contactors together to engage the high-voltage traction pack therefore the car won't start and cannot be driven.

Anyone know how to get the attention of management to get a problem resolved?
In short this issue still is not fixed.
Here is how long they have had my car.
April 14 to May 7th -Replace main battery
May 15th to June 21th - replaced onboard charger
July 5th to not returned yet - replaced high voltage cable

Tesla has tried to fix this problem for more than 100 days!

Any ideas how I get this escalated?

Very frustrated owner.

There used to be a checkbox on the Tesla website when you login to your My Tesla account and ask for help to escalate to Executive Management, but I'm not seeing it now. I would I hope you've had a Tesla loaner at least during this time. I would still reach out and ask for someone to provide you with a definite timeframe or status.

Yes I've seen that message twice in my 2012 S85 Signature. It seems your car needs a 12 volt battery, have them replace that. I can't believe they didn't know or weren't able to determine that from the logs in the car. A low 12 volt battery will not have enough energy to pull the contactors together to engage the high-voltage traction pack therefore the car won't start and cannot be driven.

The 12 volt battery was replaced but had the same problem.

My 3 has started displaying the same alert and symptoms that my previous S and X had when their 12V and DC-DC converters failed too. I thought they had fixed the issues with the new DC-DC converter and 12V battery design to a different style, but I guess not. I'm hoping my 3 is not suffering the same issues

So apparently it's not the DC/DC converter. It's at the SC now waiting on parts for a rear drive unit replacement. I already had the front unit replaced in February when I had similar error messages and clunking noises. Perhaps there's some QC issues with the early builds of the AWD motors.

If you get this message when starting up or shifting out of park, snap a pic of it with your camera and try to catch the clock in the picture so you can attach it via the app when you submit the service appointment request. The advisor (from the February appt) said it helps them find the error codes in the log.

Got my M3 AWD back yesterday after a week at the SC. They changed out the rear drive unit in one day with a replacement "990" motor. (Apparently, there's a big controversy regarding AWD-to-P software upgrades coming soon). As usual, the staff at the SC were top notch. They even arranged for me to swap out the S loaner with another one because the door handles and side mirror in the 1st loaner vehicle was defective.

Reactions: nanimac
So apparently it's not the DC/DC converter. It's at the SC now waiting on parts for a rear drive unit replacement. I already had the front unit replaced in February when I had similar error messages and clunking noises. Perhaps there's some QC issues with the early builds of the AWD motors.

If you get this message when starting up or shifting out of park, snap a pic of it with your camera and try to catch the clock in the picture so you can attach it via the app when you submit the service appointment request. The advisor (from the February appt) said it helps them find the error codes in the log.
I'm having the same issue with my P85D I believe. At crawl speeds, I'm getting a jerking as if the motor is getting caught. Give a little throttle and it will overcome the resistance. But it's jerky until you get past 10 mph. I think it's the motor because it feels like it happens close to 7 times per complete tire revolution. It was also more pronounced while decelerating with standard regenerative braking. It's driving me nuts! At first I realized my newly replaced 12V was regularly getting as low as 12.4V and not 13.8V. I installed a trailer hitch adapter, which is now disconnected from the negative lead on the battery, and that seems to have fixed the battery charging problem. But the "Car needs service, may not restart" persists. And at single digits state of charge, the contactors won't close to recharge the battery on L2 charger.

This is encouraging to hear that the the motor might be the culprit. I suspect that it could have been the DC-DC converter, 1300 amp passive fuse failure,