Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Car Needs Service, Contact Tesla Service" -- and park assist fix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had "Car Needs Service, Contact Tesla Service" pop up on my display a couple of weeks ago. Last week I brought my car in and they said it was an "SD Card fault"... I didn't know the car even had an SD card, but I guess it uses one to store maps (at least). I did notice that my maps were being a bit wonky, showing some coastal roads falling into the ocean, but I didn't think much of it.

Anyways, they tried to hard reboot fuse 51, and formatted my SD Card as well, and it seems the maps are saved correctly now.

One other thing they found, without my asking, was that my park assist was not working. I had previously tried to use it to no avail, but since I'm pretty good at parallel parking, it didn't dawn on me to ask when I dropped it off. Anyways, per my service receipt, they found a sensor not secured well in the front bumper, and glued it into place. Haven't had time to try it yet, but I will report back if it works now. I just recall seeing a few people saying that their park assist didn't work at all, and though this might help.

I had "Car Needs Service, Contact Tesla Service" showed up on my screen last night, but it's gone this morning. Should I contact Tesla?
I bought my CPO S60 two months ago with 10,700 miles on it. During pickup, I asked Tesla when do I have to do my first service, they said they just did it during CPO process, so I don't have to worry about it for another year.

It's fairly common for those errors to pop up even when there's nothing apparently wrong with the car, and then go away again on their own, or after you reboot the screen(s). By 'fairly common' I mean something like once or twice a year, in my experience with two different Model S.

I hate these messages. Can they really not just give us the fault code? Sometimes it can indicate a dying contactor which is serious and requires immediate attention.
At least you should be able to see them when pressing the error button. It would also be nice to be able to acknowledge them and not of them display on the screen all the time (even if you had to acknowledge them daily).

Reactions: FlyF4
I had "Car Needs Service, Contact Tesla Service" showed up on my screen last night, but it's gone this morning. Should I contact Tesla?
I bought my CPO S60 two months ago with 10,700 miles on it. During pickup, I asked Tesla when do I have to do my first service, they said they just did it during CPO process, so I don't have to worry about it for another year.

I have the SC rotate my tires every 5000 miles ( no charge ) and almost every visit they do some additional work, usually some bulletin I did not know about. Once they upgraded my charger.

Hmm. I wasn't aware of any active service bulletins for the master charger. Details, please?

When I had it in for tire rotation the service person ( she works the front desk, don't know the actual title) informed me they were going to replace my charger. She just said it was an improved version. She did NOT indicate it was a TSB. I did not ask further.
I had previously had some charging issues ( charge stopped early) at the local supercharger when it was newly opened but had been told that was supercharger related. This sounded correct since moving to a different stanchion fixed the problem.
I have never had any problem before or after the change charging on AC.