Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Low 12V Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Tesla Service told me that this issue is due to a low 12V Battery. If you got this message...please share the details:

1) When did you receive the notice?
2) Does your Tesla make clicking sounds?
3) Is walk-up unlock enabled?
4) Do you have a dashcam?
5) What is your VIN Range?

IMG_3722.HEIC.jpeg

Here are my answers:
1) When did you receive the notice? Tuesday, March 13
2) Does your Tesla make clicking sounds? Yes (VIDEO)
3) Is walk-up unlock enabled? No
4) Do you have a dashcam? Yes (wired directly to the battery)
5) What is your VIN Range? 2100

I had a loaner X100D that had a 12V problem where car wouldn't drive after 500 miles. Luckily we were at home and they towed it to nearby service center and have me another loaner.

That would have been extremely disappointing of we just bought it brand new

Tesla Service told me that this issue is due to a low 12V Battery. If you got this message...please share the details:

1) When did you receive the notice? August 15, 2018
2) Does your Tesla make clicking sounds? yes
3) Is walk-up unlock enabled? yes
4) Do you have a dashcam? yes wired to 12v battery Blackvue 2CH
5) What is your VIN Range? 3382

I just had my Tesla services at Tesla Service 2801 Northwestern in Santa Clara. They said since I have a dashcam wired to the battery the replacement is out of warranty. I was charged $155 for a battery replacement.

View attachment 287035

Here are my answers:
1) When did you receive the notice? Tuesday, March 13
2) Does your Tesla make clicking sounds? Yes (VIDEO)
3) Is walk-up unlock enabled? No
4) Do you have a dashcam? Yes (wired directly to the battery)
5) What is your VIN Range? 2100

@K-MTG , been reading the threads for a blackvue in the Model 3. If memory serves me wasn’t your battery issue due to the hardwiring of the dashcam to the battery, something we can no longer do or we get this warning and degrade the battery so that it needs replacing — and it affected other owners too who did the same install for continuous power? My Model 3 should be here shortly and so I’m looking at the accessories I want to have ready and a blackvue is one of them.

We have our Model S blackvue hardwired and we never wanted to use that Blackvue battery backup device to have parking mode running. The fact that I won’t always be driving my Model 3 every 12 hours to charge the battery backup will be an issue as well for me. Kind of defeats the purpose of wanting a dashcam for 24 hr use. If this is in fact the case, not happy to find all this out. Given how popular and necessary dashcams are for people, I’m surprised Tesla didn’t plan for a way for owners to hardwire one in. And having internal cameras on the Model 3 doesn’t really cut it, not the same thing. Dashcams are used for multiple purposes. Didn’t see a follow up from you here so wanted to verify my understanding. Thanks.

Tomnish, thanks for your feedback. Don’t want to be incurring that expense myself.

Last edited:
I remember seeing in the Model 3 BlackVue thread people having issues when they connected directly into their 12v battery. There were several reports of people's 12v battery dying so that seems like what's happened here.

Had anyone found a constant power in the Model 3 yet? I'm not installing a BlackVue in it until that's been confirmed by the community.

@K-MTG , been reading the threads for a blackvue in the Model 3. If memory serves me wasn’t your battery issue due to the hardwiring of the dashcam to the battery, something we can no longer do or we get this warning and degrade the battery so that it needs replacing — and it affected other owners too who did the same install for continuous power? My Model 3 should be here shortly and so I’m looking at the accessories I want to have ready and a blackvue is one of them.

We have our Model S blackvue hardwired and we never wanted to use that Blackvue battery backup device to have parking mode running. The fact that I won’t always be driving my Model 3 every 12 hours to charge the battery backup will be an issue as well for me. Kind of defeats the purpose of wanting a dashcam for 24 hr use. If this is in fact the case, not happy to find all this out. Given how popular and necessary dashcams are for people, I’m surprised Tesla didn’t plan for a way for owners to hardwire one in. And having internal cameras on the Model 3 doesn’t really cut it, not the same thing. Dashcams are used for multiple purposes. Didn’t see a follow up from you here so wanted to verify my understanding. Thanks.

Tomnish, thanks for your feedback. Don’t want to be incurring that expense myself.

Here is my video on the battery:

Reactions: SMAlset