Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Car Needs Service" Message Shown and Great Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Tuesday 2/19 around 5 pm, I got into my MS and saw the following message.

ServiceNeeded-(1).jpg

I called the local Tesla Service center and they looked at the logs and said it is not urgent and that they will look into it and get back to me the next day. That night, the car did not allow me to open the charge port to charge. I had 131 mile so I was not worried.

The next day Wednesday, I called them again telling them that it will not let me charge. They said that they will send someone out for service. However, their ranger was busy so they sent a truck to pick it up.They replaced the charge port and returned the car around 5:30 pm that evening. It sounds like the car was quite smart in that it recognized a charge port fault and it did not allow charging.

The pick up and return was actually very nice to not have to drive it to the service center and use a rental car for the day. I just worked from home that day.

TowTruck-(1).jpg

Now I am considering paying for ranger service when they offer it. Hmmmm, more money to spend :)

Just to clarify, the car can be driven but the Ranger cannot come onsite so Tesla decided to pick it up. I think we feel sad because traditionally, we only tow cars when they are broken down. The interesting thing is that it is a mind shift that we are getting high end service to get the car picked up for repair and returned later. It is so psychological.

Got me thinking this has ... while the range service might be good, do we really want the public seeing a slew of S's on tow trucks? Might make it look like the car is not all it's quacked up to be?

Granted ranger service is supposed to stay at your facility.

Then again, I suppose a lot of them are delivered this way so one could reply to someone asking "why do I see Model S's" on tow trucks?"

"Oh, that's how they're delivered. That's all you saw!"

I was thinking the same, I equate it with high end service. I never thought about the flip side. They always took my husbands car in for routine things on a flatbed (not a Tesla)... I thought how awesome you don't have to do anything. I guess maybe it depends on the car and what it looks like.
Just to clarify, the car can be driven but the Ranger cannot come onsite so Tesla decided to pick it up. I think we feel sad because traditionally, we only tow cars when they are broken down. The interesting thing is that it is a mind shift that we are getting high end service to get the car picked up for repair and returned later. It is so psychological.