Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car needs service power reduced (newbie)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my new MS 75d 2 days ago. This morning after pulling out of garage, I got the "car needs service power reduced" notification/warning. Pulled over to the side of the road. Tried to call Tesla (both local service and roadside). Roadside never picked up and local service forwarded me to a voice mail. At that point I decided to exit car, lock it and then unlock it. After starting up again, warning went away. Unfortunately warning came back a bit later in the day having only driven a few miles. Got a hold of Tesla service and bringing in Monday morning.

I am dumbfounded that 2 days after delivery my very expensive car already has issues. XM radio interface is also not working. Yikes

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I am dumbfounded that 2 days after delivery my very expensive car already has issues. XM radio interface is also not working. Yikes

I had this happen to me two weeks back during a 3 hour drive. I have a 2016 Model S 70, fortunately the reduced power warning came when I was on my way back home and only few miles away, boy it felt like a really long drive those few miles . Starting from complete stops on lights or trying to turn, it would just crawl. I parked in my garage and everything was back to normal when I started.

I called SC (it was a Sunday), the very next day they had already looked at the logs and said there was a possible issue with the coolant system (some kink) that was preventing the battery from being cooled. I was able to drive fine for another 10 days (I live 80 miles from nearest SC), finally got it fixed last week. Not sure if you have the same problem though.

I've had my model S for 15 months, 32,000 miles and have not been into the service center once. No problems yet. Called at 1 year to see if I should bring it in for a checkup and they said no. I'll take it in before 50,000 miles when the warranty expires and have everything checked for things that might go wrong.

Just past one year and 24,000 miles this week. Zero issues here also. I'm a bit detail orientated (my wife has another name for it ;-) so I see, hear and feel things most people would miss.

Easily..... the best new car we've ever owned period....plus........... It's a Tesla!!!!

I've driven my 2015 Model S P90DL for 17,000 miles and 18 months (October 2015 build). Only service issue was front passenger door handle failed to present. One service visit to fix and have had zero other problems. Love the car!

Driven the car for over 2,000 miles through the western deserts at over 100 degree temperatures at 70 + mph, through Death Valley at over 120 degree temperatures, etc., and never had a warning about anything. Would buy again in a second...well, I'd buy the P100DL this time. ;)

I want to set the record straight. I have driven 9000 miles since I got my car last September. I am extremely happy and I am glad I got my Tesla. It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it, yes a cliche I know... I cannot see myself going back to ICE and my next purchase will be a Tesla again!

The North Houston SC has been very responsive and flexible and take all my complaints seriously (even if I nit-pick). Have had two issues first one being the front camera needing a replacement because everyday around 9-10 am, AP would be disabled. The second was the issue with the coolant system. In spite of these two (which I consider minor annoyances), I do not see them as symptoms of possible recurrent problems in the future.

UPDATE:

Tesla had the car for the day. They said they couldn't find anything wrong (although they did see the warnings in the logs). Something led them to look at the "accelerator pedal circuit" though (see below). Presumably a code that was linked to the warning in the logs.

From their report:
-----------------------
Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found
Check logs and faults. Check all wiring and connections for accelerator pedal circuit. All
connections and pins ok. Voltages from pedal all in spec. Alert currently not present. Road
test vehicle, no alerts present.
---------------------------------------------

So I will be picking up car shortly. I am little concerned since this happened twice in one day and have a hard time chalking it up to a one time only "glitch". However, I am new to the Telsa world so time will tell..

On the XM radio bug, they said it was a known issue with my current firmware [version 8.1 (17.11.3)] and will be addressed in a future firmware release.