Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car needs service power reduced (newbie)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I took delivery of a new S75 on Friday and less than 24 hours later, and with only 88 kilometres (i live in New Zealand) on the clock I got the ‘car needs service’ with reduced power. I limped the car off the motorway, and phoned Tesla Roadside assist. I was answered in seconds and advised to take the car back to the dealership.

Sorry you are having the same problem. For what its worth after they replaced the DU in that initial period the error never resurfaced (knock on wood). I have around 8000 miles and about 8.5 months of ownership. Nonetheless this is not an acceptable experience/issue for a brand new car. I hope Tesla will improve.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688
Sorry you are having the same problem. For what its worth after they replaced the DU in that initial period the error never resurfaced (knock on wood). I have around 8000 miles and about 8.5 months of ownership. Nonetheless this is not an acceptable experience/issue for a brand new car. I hope Tesla will improve.
Thanks for the sympathy. I'm really hoping it's not a major mechanical fault, as it may take several months to get the part(s) here.

So I'm back on the road!

The fault was found to be a) a coolant pump had failed and b) a kink in the coolant pipes. The pump may have failed as a result of the low coolant flow rate placing pressure on the pump.

I'm still relatively frustrated that this fault was in a brand-new car (less than 24 hours after I took delivery), but I've got my car and my Tesla grin back.

Here's to better luck going forward and fingers crossed no more issues!

So I have a 2012 SIgnature P85 Model S. Just hit 70K miles. SC replaced battery preemptively at around 30K miles and last May replaced DU due to milling noise. This afternoon I got the Reduced Power warning and car coasted to a stop. All of the electronics worked but nothing from the Drive Unit. Managed to push car to nearby curb with help from two good samaritans. Called Roadside assist and had a VERY helpful rep (Rodrigo) who had me power down and reset car, to no avail. He arranged for flatbed to arrive and they have just taken car to my SC 30 miles north. I will go there tomorrow to get a loaner. The car is a CPO that is 230 miles under the warranty cutoff!...Glad this happened now and not two weeks later!

I love the car. Seriously considering buying it when the lease expires this May. Very curious about this incident but the car has overall been a great ride and I cannot see myself going back to anything less.

So I have a 2012 SIgnature P85 Model S. Just hit 70K miles. SC replaced battery preemptively at around 30K miles and last May replaced DU due to milling noise. This afternoon I got the Reduced Power warning and car coasted to a stop. All of the electronics worked but nothing from the Drive Unit. Managed to push car to nearby curb with help from two good samaritans. Called Roadside assist and had a VERY helpful rep (Rodrigo) who had me power down and reset car, to no avail. He arranged for flatbed to arrive and they have just taken car to my SC 30 miles north. I will go there tomorrow to get a loaner. The car is a CPO that is 230 miles under the warranty cutoff!...Glad this happened now and not two weeks later!

I love the car. Seriously considering buying it when the lease expires this May. Very curious about this incident but the car has overall been a great ride and I cannot see myself going back to anything less.

UPDATE: Tesla SC had my car for 4 working days. Got it back today. They replaced the drive unit and associated cables and mounts. Car runs like a top. Still have 3 years left on drivetrain warranty. As usual, Tesla service was excellent in all respects, efficiency, courtesy, and great communications.