Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service, Power Reduced -- power usage looks wonked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read a few threads on the "Car needs service, power reduced" error message, which I received yesterday on a warm day after doing some full throttle launches with 4 adults in the car, but could not really ascertain what applies in my situation.

I let the car cool down, charged it up, and took it out again last night to test. The message had gone away, but after doing some short launches (onto the freeway), I saw what looks like very unusual usage/spikes on the energy meter. It is like it suddenly hit some sort of "leak" point and even at average throttle the energy usage was rising rapidly.

I'd love some opinions on this. I'll be calling the service center today once they wake up, as the "schedule an appointment" feature on the website just gives a 404 page.

20190602_223525.jpg
20190602_223531.jpg
20190602_223537.jpg

That looks pretty normal for spirited driving. Another thing that causes a spike is having the HVAC system run (whether to cool you or the battery) while you're not moving. Power is measured in Wh/mi, and if you're using several hundred Wh while going zero miles, it has to take that power you consumed and spread it over the first couple miles of your next drive.

Edit: Do you have Max Battery (Or Insane+/Ludicrous+) turned on? The battery heater eats some juice.

Update: Just got off chat with the service center. He said there were some faults registered in the logs based on some system errors (whatever that means), but does not see any indication that I have a real issue -- although he said to keep an eye on it and report if it happens again. I mentioned the accel pedal issue, the cabling issue, or the rear drive unit issue, and he said the way the faults appeared it does not indicate any of those issues.