Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced and Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a new MX (built in Jan 2018) yesterday and got this same error code while pulling out of a garage today: car needs service - steering assist reduced. Thank goodness I was only a block from home so I was able to muscle my way there. I stepped away from car for 2 minutes and error went away. Called my local SC and she said they hadn’t heard of anything but as a brand spankin new owner of my first EV, I’m hoping this is simply a software update issue! Anyway, just wanted to post to add one more occurrence of this issue (even though I realize this is the Model S forum).

• Informative
Reactions: sharpgator
Since it seems this issue has occurred across MS and MX...This same issue just occurred in my Model 3. v8.1 / 2018.18.13. The following messages appeared all at once:
  • Traction Control Disabled / Contact Tesla Service
  • Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled
  • Car needs service / Steering assist reduced
They appeared while I was pulling into my garage parking spot - navigation had been acting up on this particular trip home in addition to LTE connectivity acting flaky. It's a particularly hot day - ambient temp around 95+ degrees F, though M3's screen was reading it as high as 107.

I left the car parked for about 10 minutes, then drove back out to the end of the driveway (cell service is better) to call customer service, but then the error messages were gone.

Seems that a commonality may be ambient temperatures on the more extreme, though everyone else's case here seems to be when it's cold whereas this was during heat.

Since it seems this issue has occurred across MS and MX...This same issue just occurred in my Model 3. v8.1 / 2018.18.13. The following messages appeared all at once:
  • Traction Control Disabled / Contact Tesla Service
  • Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled
  • Car needs service / Steering assist reduced
They appeared while I was pulling into my garage parking spot - navigation had been acting up on this particular trip home in addition to LTE connectivity acting flaky. It's a particularly hot day - ambient temp around 95+ degrees F, though M3's screen was reading it as high as 107.

I left the car parked for about 10 minutes, then drove back out to the end of the driveway (cell service is better) to call customer service, but then the error messages were gone.

Seems that a commonality may be ambient temperatures on the more extreme, though everyone else's case here seems to be when it's cold whereas this was during heat.

Same here! Just picked up the Model 3 last week and we only have about 150 miles driven. It’s about 80 degrees out, but the navi was showing 90. Error came up as we pulled into parking. The error went away after leaving it alone for about 10 minutes. We did just get a ceramic coat on it this morning. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again!

Odd thing happened yesterday after supercharging. I went in my MS and placed the car in drive. I received a warning "Car Needs Service Steering Assist Reduced" and the steering wheel was extremely hard to turn. I googled the message and several owners resolved the issue by completing a reset. This did not work for me. I called roadside service and stepped away from my car to walk around because I was placed on hold. When I got a hold of a Tesla rep I went back in and placed it in drive but this time the warning went away. I was told I should be okay to drive but take it in for service ASAP.

Few minutes into my drive a different warning popped up "Automatic emergency braking is disabled". I pulled over and completed several resets and the message will not go away. Both screens seem to lag when performing functions and most noticable was the navigation. It would not update step by step directions the screen seems to be frozen. It was still showing my position at the supercharger station but I was several blocks away.

I've decided to step away from the car for a few minutes so everything powers down. Went back inside placed the car in drive and the warning went away. Both screens went back to normal operation.

This morning I took my car in for service and the SA informed me the "Car Needs Service Steering Assist Reduced" should have been fixed by the recent firmware upgrade couple weeks ago for AP 2.5 cars, and yes I do have the recent firmware.

So I'm stuck without my car and not sure how bad the situation is. Anyone have similar experiences recently? Especially when the latest firmware should have fixed the problem.

This just happened to me yesterday. I thought it might be related to the extreme cold weather.