Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car needs service unable to dc fast charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this error and symptom after attempting to supercharge last night. Fortunately I had sufficient range to get home and charging from 240VAC here still functions. SC indicates (after viewing the logs) that a fuse in the DC charging circuit is blown. Not sure why -- perhaps a malfunction of the Supercharger or some additional problem with the car (TBD). Going in for service next week.

Quick followup ... SC confirmed the issue, replaced the (single) on board charger and the issue resolved. Reasonable assumption that it was the fuse referenced in posts above ... and that Tesla doesn't want techs working on HV charger internals ... safer to have the entire LRU (charger) swapped out at the SC. Covered by warranty fortunately, if I were footing the bill, I'd be pushing for a cheaper alternative.

BTW: The replacement charger is described as:
ASY,GEN2 CHRGR,MDLS,NON-CHINA
(1014963-00-K)​
I assume that the original was Gen1 (late 2014 P85D with single 40A on-board charger). Can anyone confirm, and is there any operational difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 units ?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Again, a blown fuse in the master charger does not prevent supercharging so unlikely to be the cause.

Not sure what the fault in the charger was, but the SC was clear that such a fault was the root cause -- and replacing the charger did solve the issue.
That it was "a blown fuse" was speculation on my part, based on the fact that the "faulty" charger worked flawlessly with 240VAC input, and others have reported replacement of
"a fuse in the charger" as curative.

Reactions: Jays200